Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

X and Y motors don't run. Z motor runs.

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by jeffmorris, Jan 18, 2019.

1. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

I have CNC router with CNC XPro V3 board, three external drivers, and three NEMA 34 motors. This afternoon, I tried to set up the machine by moving the axis's away from limit switches using jogging buttons on GBRL Panel but the X-Axis and Y-Axis motors don't run. The Z-Axis motor runs. The X-Axis and Y-Axis carriages touch the limit switches. I get Alarm 8 when homing the machine. I think that wires get loose from terminals and headers. I can move the Y-Axis carriage by hand but I think I can't move the X-Axis carriage by hand because the lead screw is under the platform where workpieces are held down using clamp boards. How can I fix the machine without taking the control panel off?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Temporarilly disable limits ($21=0), then move it clear. Once clear, reenable Limits ($21=1) - see gnea/grbl

May need a Reset in between the changes to take effect

3. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

I took the control panel off the machine and found out that external driver for Z-Axis has green light, driver for Y-Axis has no lights, and driver for X-Axis has red light. I tried switching wires between drivers and it didn't work. The power supply inside the machine generates about 44 VDC.

The stepper motor specs are:

Eastern Air Devices
    NEMA 34
    5A/10A
    1.8 degrees
    LA348JK-P500

The drivers are MondoStep 7.8 Bi-Polar Stepper Motor Driver. Do I have bad drivers or bad XPro or bad motors?

#3 jeffmorris, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  4. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

5. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

I got two stepper motor drivers from Amazon today and replaced the bad drivers with new ones. Should all drivers be same? I didn't replace the old but working driver. I got the machine working but I had problems calibrating the Z-Axis because I don't have short metric ruler. The new drivers have fans and the old ones don't have fans.

6. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Journeyman
    Builder

The third stepper motor driver went bad this morning. I had to order new one.