Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Worker 1510 help

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Shane1978, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Shane1978

Shane1978 New
    Builder

Have a belt slip problem with my y axis. Not sure what to check next. Tightened the belts and loosen the eccentric spacers. Seems like some of the v wheels are tight on the inside and the outside are loose. Looking for pointers here guys. Maybe I have something out of square?

2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Shane, Belt slip? they should never jump over a tooth, did you get the pulley and the belt from the same supplier?
    Did you loctite the pulley set screw onto the motor?
    Are you sure it's not the motor stalling / loosing steps? Did you set your drive current? is this on an Xpro?
    Cheers
    Gary

Mark Carew likes this.
  3. Shane1978

Shane1978 New
    Builder

Yes I got everything from openbuilds. Using xpro controller. I did not loctite the setscrews. I suppose that is a possibility that it is slipping on the shaft. I don't think it's the motors stalling. It makes a noise at times when it is moving. I assumed the noise was the belt slipping on the pulley but maybe not. Was thinking that the v wheels might be causing too much resistance since I can't seem to get them adjusted correctly

4. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

On my 1510 I found that the gear was slipping on the motor shaft on one of my Y axis. The noise made me think it was the belt slipping. I was able to easily determine this. Unscrew the belt tensioners on each side of the belt. With the motor powered up, grab the belt on each side of the motor and try to pull it one way or the other. If the belt moves, then your gear is spinning on your shaft. Its important to remember to do this with the motors powered up. It was a pain in the butt to remove the screws to apply loctite with the machine assembled, but its doable for sure. Good luck.

5. Gary Caruso

Yes the weird stutters noise is the motors stalling and loosing steps, did you try increasing your current?

6. Shane1978

Shane1978 New
    Builder

No Gary I haven't. Is that the adjustment on the power supply that I should try to adjust?

7. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hi @Shane1978 Do all the wheels roll properly? Did you include the shim in the center of each wheel kit? I ask because it's easy to forget and will cause the wheels to lock up if its not there.
    Please double check that all of your motor wires/connectors are seated nice and tight on the wire (power off first) as it sounds like it may have a short in the wiring.

8. Shane1978

Shane1978 New
    Builder

OK guys at this point I really do appreciate all the help. Mark, yes I'm positive all the spacers are in the wheels. Something doesn't seem quite right with the wheels however. I Marked the eccentric spacers like in the video. I have them still in that same position because when I try to adjust them even slightly it makes the y axis problem worse. The wheels that are on the inside (toward the spoilboard) are tight to the rail and hard to spin while the outer wheels are loose. Like I mentioned the eccentric spacers are all oriented the same (6mm mark pointing down) and if I try to adjust even just the outside it makes the movement of the y axis even worse. I have also tried to loosen the 60mm screws thinking they may be causing the wheels to bind up.. For the majority of the time it moves as expected then it gives me trouble and skips steps

9. Gary Caruso

Ok Shane, the trim pots on the Xpro is where you need to adjust the current.
    When the current is set you will be surprised how strong these motors are.
    Turn the trim pots carefully clockwise little by little until you get reliable movement.
    Each drive channel has a pot for current adjust.
    Also make sure to have active cooling (a fan) on your xpro.
    Which motors are you running?
    Cheers
    Gary

10. Shane1978

Shane1978 New
    Builder

Gary, the motors are nema 23 that I ordered from openbuildspartstore.com when I ordered everything else. I got the case for the xpro so it does have a cooling fan. That's part of the reason I bought everything from there was just so if I had trouble hopefully I could get some help. Figured it would be easier than having a bunch of parts from several different suppliers. It will be later this evening before I can try anything else but another stupid question I have is since this is a dual drive setup on the y axis are there two separate pots to adjust or does one adjust both y and a?

11. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

While you're in there, double-check that your acceleration is set to a reasonable range- somewhere between 10 and 150mm/s^2- for testing purposes, because steppers will absolutely stall out if you try to accelerate them too fast. It's more likely the current setting though.

The xPro v.4 has a separate current adjust pot for the A axis, not sure about the v.3 if you have that one. I don't use one, so I'm not sure where you're supposed to probe to get the exact current (voltage reference) setting though.

12. Gary Caruso

This is from the xpro wiki guide...
    There are two motors sold on openbuilds, a standard nema23 and a high torque.
    You want to set the current high enough that you get all the power you can but low enough not to overheat the board or the motors.
    Motors can and should get warm, but too hot to touch is too warm. Typically with an Xpro overheating a motor will not be a problem.
    Cheers
    Gary
    upload_2018-12-27_10-55-42.png

13. Shane1978

Shane1978 New
    Builder

Well adjusting the pot seemed to fix it. Will be able to tell later when I have a little more time to try it. Thanks guys. Much appreciated

Gary Caruso likes this.