Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Workbee - precision

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Benjamin Vg, Jun 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Thanks Benjamin, it was particularly useful to comment out the various attempts at calibration. According to your config.g file you had a perfect square with;

Square perfect: M92 X53.997 Y53.744 Z381

and you are getting a near perfect square now with;

M92 X53.611 Y53.475 Z400

can you confirm that both squares were 100mm?
    Alex.
    PS haven't had a response from Ryan yet.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

It shouldn't make any difference Benjamin (the default microstepping should be 16) but try moving the line;

M350 X16 Y16 Z16 I1 ; Configure microstepping with interpolation

between the M584 and M92 lines.

Alex.

3. Benjamin Vg

Benjamin Vg Well-Known
    Builder

I will not be able to test it today anymore but I will change it the order is teh default one provided my ooznest.
    I was both for the same square but I have move a bit the tension in the belts and the wheels. the active line is the best attempt for the square perfect with the wheels and belts as I have setup right now.

4. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Struggling to come up with a reason for 1000mm to be accurate, 400mm to be high, and 100mm to be low. Seems impossible from either a motion planning point of view or a machine kinematics point of view.

What happens if you turn your microstepping down to 4x with zero interpolation? Just wondering if that particular drive doesn't like it, for some weird reason and it's having a non-linear effect.

Edit: bear in mind I'm completely unfamiliar with the Duet controller system, I'm just approaching it from a general machine-integrator point of view. Others may (likely will) have better ideas if they're more familiar with the system.

5. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Not sure how many belt drive machines with the Duet controller there are out there - most people on here seem to have the screw drive, but Benjamin has the 1500 x 1500. Screw drive use x8 microstepping. Waiting for a response from Ryan to see if he has any clues. Like you, Rob, I can't make sense of the non-lineararity of this.
    Alex.

6. Benjamin Vg

Benjamin Vg Well-Known
    Builder

Don't forget also that the same motor is used for both the Y axe and the X axe so I guess that the microstepping should be the same. Am I right?
    Could it be consistent with the belt if the belt is malformed somewhere for example?

#36 Benjamin Vg, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  7. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

No, you'd just change your calibration for that axis. Your steps per mm would be 4x fewer, more or less.

You can set your microstepping to whatever you like. I personally think that 8x is the best sweet spot for a balance between precision and torque- as you increase microstepping (ie. the amount of positions it tries to hold between the true physical magnetic motor steps, usually 200, by "feathering" the current between the two phases) your torque goes down because it has to split the current and can't pile it all into one position. After 8x microstepping the torque curve pretty much falls off a cliff. And often, you're not actually getting the true number of positions it's set to, either; it struggles to precisely hold a commanded in-between position after about 4x microstepping.

Stepper motors aren't really all that great for what we do, they're just really cheap and barely good enough! Anyway, I try to use either full stepping, 200 steps/rev, or 8x microstepping, 1600 steps/rev, on basically all projects.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I agree with Rob above, set everything to 1/8th microstep

Belt stretch can cause inconsistencies. And if you stretch hard enough to break the fiber/kevlar inside reinforcement, it can lead to differences "depending on where you are" along the way too. If possible remove the belt and inspect it, pull on it little by little, advancing along its length, see if theres a "more stretchy" bit (sign that the reinforcement was broken off inside)

9. grezmel

grezmel New
    Builder

Following as I am having identical issues with the Ooznest 1500x1500 belt driven Cnc. Benjamin, you are not alone if that helps

10. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

The belt should be OK - brand new machine, but worth checking as it won't take long.
    Default microstepping for the Duet is 16x - intended for the light loads of 3d printing - but you are getting inconsistent results when not cutting anything. It certainly won't hurt to try changing the microstepping to 8x, but be aware it will change your steps/mm calibration.
    Alex.

11. grezmel

grezmel New
    Builder

One thing I have noticed is that the whole z axis beam flexes forwards and up quite easily if you go too deep too fast (everything is tight). Whilst testing I’m only cutting by 1mm increments into pine.

12. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Is it the Z C-beam that's flexing, the X gantry that's rotating around the X C-beam, or the X C-beam that's flexing?
    What tool, feed rate and spindle speed are you using?
    If possible post a video shot from one side showing the problem (but we can't tell much from a shaky video)
    Alex.

13. Benjamin Vg

Benjamin Vg Well-Known
    Builder

Hello,

Thank you for all your reactions.
    • @Rob Taylor : When I configure the microsteps to 8 with the following commands. I still have the issue but it is just a very little less important. When I use 16 microsteps I have a shift of ~6mm and with 8 steps I only have ~4mm. Of course I had to divide my M92 config by two.
      M350 X8 Y16 Z16 I1 ; Configure microstepping with interpolation MODIFIED FROM FORUM ADVICES
      M92 X26.752 Y53.475 Z400 ; Set steps per mm

• @Alex Chambers: I think you where right that the M350 for microsteps command should be before the M92 command because I had the issue when I have configured 8 steps. But as you said 16 should be the default one because when I keep 16 steps it doesn't change anything to switch the lines or not.

• @grezmel : Thank a lot for the support and sharing your experience too. After that I don't know if I have to take it as a good news because I am not alone or a bad news because I could mean that the design of the machine is an issue.

• @grezmel & @Alex Chambers: About the Z-axis flexibility I didn't have notice it yet but didn't have paid very attention to it yet because again I already have the issue without using the router. Could it be just because the wheels are not tight enough on this axe?

14. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi @Benjamin Vg, have you tried swapping motors? If Y axis is OK leave those where they are, but try swapping the Z and X motors.
    The only other thing I can think of is reducing the microstepping even further.
    Still waiting for a response from Ryan - I guess we won't hear from him until tomorrow.
    Alex.

15. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

An easy way of swapping drivers (for a 4-way test: 2 motors, 2 drivers) without having to rewire anything except plugging motors is just to rotate all your code commands; use G1 Z-400 instead of G1 X400, etc. As long as your limit switches are installed and working, there should be very little danger to this method, and you then know whether everything's good or not. If you have a nice pluggable setup instead of terminal blocks, this might not be as relevant.

I'd also try turning microstepping off completely on the x axis. It's the only way to know that you're getting full torque from the motor and eliminate that variable, at least for the time being. This process is always about eliminating variables, one by one.

16. grezmel

grezmel New
    Builder

Here are the videos of the Z/X flexing which is probably contributing to inaccuracy. The X beam itself also looks to be twisting. I've checked all screws for tightness etc. @Benjamin, it could be something else for you to watch out for when you put your machine under load.

17. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I'm afraid that is the limitation of C-beam - 1500mm is probably too long for the X axis in particular. If you search the forum you will find different ways of stiffening the C-beam, but otherwise you will have to restrict yourself to light cuts. It would be a good idea to always do a roughing cut first, leaving say 0.2 to 0.5 mm of stock to take off in a finishing pass.
    Alex.

18. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

A belt-driven 1500mm machine is a near-zero-force laser platform, not a milling platform, but all the flex in the world doesn't adequately explain these results; if the motors aren't losing steps and the spindle mount is stationary, the machine frame would absorb force and tense up at the beginning of a cut, then release the torsion at the end of the cut and still more or less come to the same spot. Anything other than a straight line would be inaccurate, though, because it wouldn't be able to "catch up" in the correct plane. It also can't deflect past the stopping point unless there's some really heavy climb cutting going on, and that seems unlikely here.

Lost steps also seems a little dubious because we're talking hundreds of steps difference, unless the lost steps are based on jerk or acceleration, perhaps? With such a low acceleration, there are hundreds of mm for it to come up to top speed, and at certain points (resonance, perhaps) it's losing steps.

What motors, drivers, and current settings are on this thing? I've been assuming it's NEMA 23s with discrete drivers and around 2.5A, but if it's not, that could be part of the problem. The Duet appears to have on-board drivers, only good up to a maximum of 2A with adequate active cooling. I see 2400mA in the config, but I'm not sure if it's actually putting that out.

Try no microstepping, like I said before, full steps. Bring your top speed down to 500mm/min for testing, probably around 1500mm/min once you're going, because 10k isn't gonna happen without a CO2 tube laser anyway. Also try setting the acceleration to 1000mms^-1 or as high as it'll go without stalling the motors out, see if we can force it to error within a specific section of motion. At that point, 100mm should be way out, but 400mm and 1000mm should agree.

The only thing that makes me dubious of the missed steps hypothesis is that they sound awful, you'd be able to hear if it was grinding away without going anywhere, even for just a couple steps at a time. But it's worth chasing down the rabbit hole just in case.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  19. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

The steppers are; 230HS280AW - 175oz -2.80A.
    Judging by the torque I get on my (leadscrew) workbee I guess the drivers are supplying 2.4A (ripped 18mm mdf spoiler board apart when I accidentally collided with a clamp).
    I was wrong about the microstepping on my leadscrew machine - it is 16x.
    Alex.

20. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Screws are much more efficient at transferring torque than belts are. With a NEMA23 on a leadscrew, you can even use A4988 drivers successfully. With Belts not so much

Alex Chambers likes this.
  21. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Very true - but it looks (from my set up) as though the controller/motor combination are supplying the torque - whether its getting through to the X and Y carriages is another question. I limited myself to the workbee 1010 because I wasn't sure that belts would transmit the torque adequately/consistently. I am also (with the same motor/controller combination) seeing no signs of missing steps even with some heavy cuts at times.
    Alex.

22. Benjamin Vg

Benjamin Vg Well-Known
    Builder

Ok, as requested I did the two additional tests:
    • Set the maximum speed to 500 in place of 10000 => result 10 min later I as at the origin and again 5min later it was still ~6mm to far away from the line of the 1000mm. Here we call that the switzerland test ;-)
    • Setting the microsteps to 1 => we really hear that the machine didn't like this. And the result was still the same...

23. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

It is not clear to us what you are doing with each test Benjamin. Could you;
    Without cutting;
    A); tell the machine to move 1000 mm and tell us how far it really moved
    B); tell the machine to move 500 mm and tell us how far it really moved
    C); tell the machine to move 100 mm and tell us how far it really moved

Then repeat those tests but cutting into the surface of the board 0.2 mm (no deeper)

The results from those 6 tests might tell us where the problem is.
    Alex.

24. grezmel

grezmel New
    Builder

Does that mean we have been sold something that is not fit for purpose as I (can't speak on benjamins behalf) purchased my machine as a CNC router kit?

25. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I think Rob's comment comes under the heading of personal opinion - if you look at his build (Grizzly G0758 Benchtop Mill Conversion) you will see that he goes in for really sturdy stuff! Hobby machines built using aluminium extrusions are always going to have limitations which we have to accept unless we can afford tens of thousands (dollars or pounds).
    Alex.

26. Benjamin Vg

Benjamin Vg Well-Known
    Builder

Ok but I don't want to cut (at least not for the long one) each time if I already see that it isn't working without cutting anything they are no reason that it work when I cut something.

Here is more details:
    • Set the maximum speed to 500 in place of 10000
      • Therorical distance: 100mm Practical: 99.9mm
      • Therorical distance: 500mm Practical: Not tested
      • Therorical distance: 1000mm Practical: ~1006mm
    • Setting the microsteps to 1
    • Therorical distance: 100mm Practical: 100.3mm
    • Therorical distance: 500mm Practical: Not tested
    • Therorical distance: 1000mm Practical: ~1006mm

@grezmel : Yes I my purpose is also to cut soft and hard wood. I was aware on the fact that cutting metal could be less precise but in the ooznest video they clearly speak about cutting wood with a precision of 0.2mm. They even show that the calibration is done by cutting aluminium but I already had some doute about it.

27. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

I wonder if that 100.3mm is statistical noise or not, because that's the direction I had expected it to go with more torque capacity.

The reduction in max speed was intended to be done after setting the microstepping down and whilst also increasing the acceleration (150mm/s/s is pretty low).

Those are somewhat promising numbers, though! I think it can get there in the end.

I was wondering about that earlier this morning. It's probably a grey area. I would say that 1500mm is much too long a span to rely on the positioning reliability of GT2 belt under relatively high, fluctuating loads. A lightweight laser head, 3D print head, maybe a PCB spindle, no problem. I'm sure you can mill foam, acrylic and other nice, homogeneous polymers, and some lower-density homogeneous composites like MDF just fine. Can you make new aluminum plates for your machine or a nice oak cabinet door? I find that unlikely. Could you legally prove it's unfit for purpose? I doubt it. Would I buy one as a milling platform? Not a snowball's chance in hell. It's basically an ACRO as far as I'm concerned.

And yeah, Alex is right; I generally approach machines from a "higher standard" than extrusion machines are typically capable of, and it does cost a bit more (though less than you'd think, at least before import mills got expensive). I'm not opposed to extrusion machines in any way though, I've built one already (Portable Diode Laser Cutter) and have plans to build at least one more at some point; they're great at what they do and can allow a pretty nice entry price point to the hobby/industry. But yeah, as Alex and Peter are aware, there may be a little bit of opinion-based hyperbole involved. I still wouldn't run a mill spindle without screws though. :D

28. grezmel

grezmel New
    Builder

:( bit disappointed really as I sold my smaller Chinese machine that worked perfectly, however, I needed a bigger work area so opted for the Ooznest 1500x1500 - just feel like I have wasted my money and am going to have to look elsewhere for another machine when the one I have isn't 2 months old.

#58 grezmel, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  29. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

As an open platform, converting it to screws shouldn't be enormously expensive or complex. Not great for something sold as ready-to-run, I know, but I've seen a lot of what I would consider... Elastic morality and less-than-complete explanations. Looking at their description page for the WorkBee, they don't technically lie about its capabilities, but they also don't really break it down clearly what's reasonable to expect out of a given configuration. You really have to go in knowing and understanding the components and machine-building and the history of the open hardware machine designs to be able to accurately parse that page. I don't like it at all, but it seems to be de rigeur to grow the market of hobbyist machinists... Or at least, people who buy machines. Feels a bit like the 90s home gym equipment craze.

Looks like the WorkBee's specifically designed to be usable in either screw or belt configuration, so a bit of chopping down (8mm screws aren't usable over 1000mm, too much whip) the extrusion as they say on that page, or using a different screw is in order. Leadscrews are available in larger diameters from places like McMaster, I'm sure there are EU equivalents, or you could try ballscrews (a 1500mm ballscrew can be had for about fifty quid or so if you look around enough in the usual places). You're not locked into anything if you don't want to be! The whole point of this is to empower people to make their own stuff, learn about the technology, and grow their abilities. No need to buy a whole new product.

Thinking about this some more... Skip the acceleration test for one second.... Keeping it at current settings but sticking with 1x/full stepping, if you calibrate it to 1000mm, what are your 100mm and 500mm marks? If that 100.3 number is consistent, you should see 99.9, 49.9-50.0, and 1000.0.

If so, it may be that your microstepping is either a) losing steps at resonant nodes, b) drawing insufficient current to properly "click over" to the next microstep and your actual motor poles are having an outsized effect, c) trying to reach too high a speed (probably not this one, based on your new testing data), d) drawing insufficient current to actually move the weight of the router (unlikely, but not impossible, if there's an issue with the Duet), e) some other microstep-based issue I haven't thought of yet.

30. RV6APilot

RV6APilot Well-Known
    Builder

Well, I am pulling my hair out like many. I tried using a sharpie to do the Hello World and it was a disaster so I thought lets try something simple like a 50mm diameter circle. Wow.. did that show how out something is. I have checked my connectors and verified they are tight and that each y axis is moving exactly the same and that there was no binding on the X axis. When I told the X axis to move 100 mm it actually move 98.425mm. I am using the standard 1040mm Tr8*8-2p (4 starts) Lead Screws. I have literally torn this thing apart and put it back together and it still prints the same. Does anyone have any ideas? Here is the circle that was created in
    OpenBuilds CAM - GCODE Generator.

[​IMG]