Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Workbee help needed

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Judehey, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Judehey

Judehey New
    Builder

I'm wiring up my Workbee. I'm using the Black box and Nema 23s. I've only wired the x axis since I'm trying to make sure I've got the wires correct. The black box connects to my computer just fine. When I attempt to jog the x axis I see the command in the window, but there is no response from the motor. No buzz, twitch, nothing. I've got about 1.6 ohms on the wire pairs going into the Black box, so I'm confident in the wiring. What am I missing? Help!
    Thanks

2. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Do you have your 24v pwr supply on? Its the switch on the power supply set to the correct AC voltage?

Did you set $4=1 in the grbl config?

#2 sharmstr, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    AmirSigns and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  3. Judehey

Judehey New
    Builder

I've got good power, I'll need to check $4 tonight. I'm using the basic workbee settings from the Openbuiilds Control software.
    With the power off, if I spin the stepper, I get a light on the blackbox, so there is at least some connectivity.
    Is there anything I can learn by hooking a multimeter to the blackbox? What should I look for?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Please never do that! Spinning the motor turns it into a generator potentially pushing 100s of volts into the output stage of a driver (which isnt designed to accept voltage) - and will ruin your controller in no time (if it did not already - it can easily burn out a driver chip! Always just move using the Jog buttons)

1) PSU on and country voltage switch to correct setting (110v vs 220)
    2) Multimeter on PSU outputs: 24v+-
    3) Fuse in BlackBox OK and Power Switch ON
    4) Fan should come on when 24v is OK
    5) Set $4=1 (it is set in our profiles but make double sure you did hit SAVE) and $1=255
    6) When PSU comes on, motor should enable (if $1=255) (LOCK, cannot move)

5. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

What Peter said. When you tun on the power (using the power switch, not usb), 3 things should happen. The middle of the BlackBox logo should light up, the fan should turn on and the stepper motor icon should turn green. See image

[​IMG]

If all of those are good AND you dont have a red ! mark above the X axis, then its probably your grbl settings.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Is dependant on $1=255 though but it is a good indicator that one of our profiles is loaded and Grbl did boot up.
    If you have $1= < 255 then it will not come on, until the motor is enabled by a jog or gcode :)

sharmstr likes this.
  7. Judehey

Judehey New
    Builder

$4 did it.
    Thanks!

sharmstr likes this.