Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

workbee deflection Z axis

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by XelNaha, Mar 10, 2019.

1. XelNaha

XelNaha New
    Builder

Hi all,

This will be my first post here, so please go easy on me :)

I have had a workbee CNC for a while now, screw driven. I got this machine as I saw plenty of people cut aluminium with it, with good surface finishes.

For some reason I cannot get it to cut aluminum decently, and even acrylic comes out all wringkly. When I made aluminum cuts as per recommended settings by Ooznest (700mm, 0.2mm DOC) the z-axis seems to deflect a lot. It also seems to be directional.

I Have tightened the exccentric nuts however that doesn't seem to help much. Any ideas where this deflection comes from and how to solve it?

Thanks

edit: few example videos of what I mean:
    Dropbox - IMG_2060.MOV
    Dropbox - IMG_2062.MOV
    Dropbox - IMG_0016 2018-08-16 08_59_56.MOV
    Dropbox - IMG_2061.MOV
    Dropbox - IMG_0017 2018-08-16 08_59_55.MOV

#1 XelNaha, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  2. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi XelNaha and Welcome.
    I guess, to save a lot of time, a video of what's happening or at least some pictures, is what is needed here to be able to help you better.

3. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer

Hi XelNaha, Something does look loose, maybe your collars on your z are not tight or your getting screw flex in compression on the longer axis?
    With Trochoidal tool-paths (the way to go IMO for aluminum cutting on these soft machines) you should be able to do 3mm or more DOC and you can move faster.
    Since this video below, I like standard 2 flute 1/8", been liking these linked.. Found with ~4mm DOC the chips clear more reliable and I don't have to babysit the machine at all.
    The step-over advance for the cut is only 4 to 4.5% of bit diameter, my machine can't do more than that without random bit breaking. 4% finish pass, full depth on 1/4" material or 1/4" at a time on 1/2" material.
    55% width for better chip clearing and lower radial contact, also cut in Climb direction (looks like you are already).

#3 Gary Caruso, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  4. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder

Thanks for the videos. It is hard to tell when you're holding the camera, whether the movement is the machine or the camera, but that last video seemed to show a fair bit of flex. Is there some way you could temporarily wedge something between the router and the back support, as high as possible, to try to eliminate some of that flex? It won't matter if it moves the tip away from the norm, just as long as it is a constant stress without movement.

5. CNCWizard

CNCWizard New
    Builder

I realize this post is getting quite old, but having recently gotten into CNC routers, I figured I would chime in with my experience and solutions.

I acquired a Workbee 1000X1000 unit with a 2.2kw spindle and the higher torque motors. Overall this unit is very impressive considering its price point and simple design. I had it built, tested, and ready to cut parts in about 3-4 week's time. This includes having to order a new motion controller and a nearly full redesign of my control box layout. I ended up getting different stepper drivers and therefore needed to add some power supplies onto the board. In the end, I had a very trouble-free, quiet, and what I would consider being a fast machine for the money spent. I have a top speed of 150ipm in any given axis and the way I laid out the machine I have a full 5 inches of usable z-axis!

The problem..... I too noticed a considerable z-axis deflection. This was slowing me down, causing issues with some parts, and really just bothering me. Just cutting air I could see the Z-axis bouncing with some of the G-Code I had loaded! I machined an AR15 80 % lower and this is where it really started to show signs of weakness. While I was able to cut a clean and rather accurate part, it was not without the gritting of teeth. I then cut some small steel parts that caused a lot of chatter and bouncing of the z-axis that really just annoyed me. The part came out fine and usable, but it was time to address the z-axis.....

I set my machine up with a moving axis as per the instructions. I thought it to be a little weird at first seeing as it added a ton of weight for the z-axis motor to have to move and no matter which way it was mounted, it was going to be a pain to remove and work on. I decided the first thing I needed to do was go with a moving spindle type design to reduce the mass that the z-axis motor would have to sling around which should help with some of the bounce and help add a minute amount of rigidity. After doing this I saw where the heart of the problem was as it was now much easier to see where all the deflection was coming from! The V-Groove wheels had quite a bit of movement before the x-axis started to give. It was not as obvious before when there was deflection in the z-axis gantry, the wheels, and eventually the x-axis c-beam. I quickly decided to go to a linear rail mounted z-axis! This is the ticket to a smooth, accurate, and stiff z-axis.

So after getting the linear rails attached and the z-axis sorted out for the spindle gantry, the next area that became obvious where deflection was occurring was in the spindle mount itself. So time to add a second mount. After adding a second mount the z-axis was as stiff and rigid as you could expect! The deflection was now evident in the x-axis bearings and c-beam..... At this point though, the deflection in the z-axis is just about half or less than it was originally and I hadn't really spent too much money. A spindle mount and the linear rails were about $100 or so all in. I figured since I had gone this far I may as well go for broke.

The way I set up my machine, I ended up having an extra 20x80 beam that would have been used for the base of the machine. I decided it would be the perfect tool to use as another rail to stiffen the x-axis gantry deflection. I am mounting it so that it lays flat just above the x-axis gantry. I made a bracket that will connect to the top of the now stationary z-axis gantry with V-Wheels that ride in the slots in what would be the front and back of the Y-axis direction. When the x-axis moves side to side, the beam, independent of the x-axis and z-axis gantries, will act as direct support to reduce flex and deflection from the z-axis forces, and the x-axis motor should only have to move another couple ounces from friction and weight of the added bracket and V-Wheels. Since a picture is worth a thousand words and I have written so much already, some pictures have been attached to hopefully show what I mean. Thanks for your time and I hope everyone is well.

For the edit: I hadn't exactly finished this project when I posted this. I completed it today and am at this point satisfied with the result. The 20x80 beam on the top did its job extremely well; so well in fact that it is now the lower part of the x-axis C-beam that is deflecting now. I do not feel inclined at this point to try and stiffen things any further. The deflection that does occur is about 1/4 or less of what it was originally and it requires some dedication to do it. I feel a cutter running through wood should not have a problem. Metal may still be, but I should at least be able to do it with less bounce and chatter.

One plus to this particular design is that you could use the upper beam as a pre-load system for the z-axis to help in tramming. I did not use it for that purpose and set it so that it was in neutral tension. I have some shims ( feeler gauges ) that I used for that. Anyway, take care everyone and I hope this helps.

IMG_0005.jpg IMG_0006.jpg IMG_0009.jpg IMG_0008.jpg IMG_0007.jpg

#5 CNCWizard, Oct 3, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  6. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

Great info! Appears to affirm both my general assumptions as well as my simulations, which is nice. Good orientation on the 2080 beam too. :thumbsup:

7. Charlie Nguyen

Builder

Hi, Would you mind to tell me what side of linear rail and block that you use? Thank you, I have the same problem with the z axis about the deflection when it cutting.

8. DarkPenguin

DarkPenguin Well-Known
    Builder

I just tightened down the wheels and this went away for me. Mine was probably excessive, tho. Not sure what rattled loose (the wheel nuts, I suppose) but the machine was clearly degraded from when I first put it together. Now it seems really good again. I have one wheel that isn't great but I can't get to it unless I pull the x axis off.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  9. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

10. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

Here's the parts I found for this mod (no reply from OP above).

Nowhere near under $100 that it was in 2020...

Wondering what would be the best approach to attaching the linear guide rails to the 500 mm C-Beam in an orthogonal fashion? From the pics above it looks like the OP just screwed them into slide-in T-Nuts. Will that be sufficient to center them perfectly parallel and hold, perhaps with some Blue Loctite?

The next part needed is a new ~125mmx125mm mounting plate. Guessing I will need to either drill the 26mmx26mm square 4-hole pattern for the four rail carriages into an Open Builds X-Large C-Beam gantry plate, or fabricate an entirely new plate. Which orientation is best? (Green holes are threaded in my eyeballed sketch here).

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 7.15.48 AM.png

I will also have to see what the hole pattern is on the Spindle Mounts when they arrive. Hoping they are 10cm apart and will bolt on to corner holes in the OB plate. If I do have to fabricate a plate, I might consider making it 250mm tall so as to space the two spindle mounts apart and add strength.

Thinking about weight on the Stepper motor, as configured now the motor is moving a 500mm CBeam, the spindle, hoses, dust boot, bit/collet, motor, standoffs, end plates, and spindle mount. If reconfigured, the motor would be moving the plate, carriages, spindle, hoses, and mounts. Would be interesting to weigh these part sets and compare.

The other factor is Z-axis transmission - I'm concerned about the offset (in the "Y" direction per se...) of the anti-backlash nut block on the rear of the plate and the ball screw that runs in the C-Beam channel. With the rail and carriage being 28mm tall ("H" in the below cross section section of carriage on rail) how will I adequately and precisely space the plate away from the rails so as to ensure the screw does not bend?
    Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 7.03.24 AM.png
    Any help / thoughts/advice would be appreciated. I have up to about 1/8" of deflection in the Y direction of the bit-tip in the spindle which is not acceptable so something must be done. The ShopBot PRS Alpha I use regularly has a linear slide configuration so this seems like a good idea.

11. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

@Peter Van Der Walt do you have an idea of how I can determine how many spacers I will need to run between the anti-backlash nut block and the XLarge C-Beam Gantry Plate with the addition of 15mm tall linear slide rails? On your normal Lead 1010 configuration, what is the nominal offset between the center of the lead screw and the gantry plate surface?

Screenshot from Build video shows 3mm spacers + precision shims between the blocks and the plate.

X with two nuts,
    Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 7.02.21 AM.png
    Z with anti-backlash. nut block:
    Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 7.05.35 AM.png

#11 GKTRK, Feb 14, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  12. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

We'd strongly recommend a couple hours in CAD planning out the build. Designing it in CAD allows for "trial and error" without spending a cent or waiting on any deliveries. Building out the plans in CAD is the absolute best way of getting all the measurements perfect

13. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

Ok I like that idea.

You are too fast - I edited my post above and found that the spacers in your build video are 4mm. So I will start there.

14. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

Do you have a 2D CAD library of parts or only 3D files?

15. Peter Van Der Walt

Don't forget the bearing block thickness too - and oh with the knockoff rails - better to order them and caliper it out - datasheets are usually copied from the OEM, but the product can differ vastly.

16. Peter Van Der Walt

17. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

Yes thanks for the reminder. I looked at McMaster rails but they are not in the budget right now.

Edit: If Anyone else is looking at this, I think these are the McMaster Part numbers for 15mm slides.

Rails: 6709K33 (460mm) and Carriages: 6709K12. $770 for 4 carriages and two rails.

#17 GKTRK, Feb 14, 2023
  18. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

According to the drawings, the center of the lead screw should be 7.6mm back from the face of the C-beam but that's assuming they haven't fixed the design error since the original drawings were posted nearly 6 years ago. (Should have been 7.5mm based on integration with the system parts) Drawing file attached. This is the kind of thing that should be verified with a micrometer or calipers.

As Peter noted, the thickness of the linear rail assembly should also be checked with a micrometer or calipers but based on the stock numbers you provided, you'll need 28mm + 7.6mm - 4mm (half nut block thickness) = 31.6mm which is an extremely long standoff. I would suggest milling a solid piece of blocking to fill the gap rather than attempting to use a pair of 10mm diameter spacers.

Attached Files:

GKTRK likes this.
  19. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

Thank you Rick. Good idea on the blocking. Better dust off my very limited Bridgeport skills...

Here's a visual look down the X axis of a 3D finishing toolpath being cut, showing the deflection. Each "row" along my model surface is a step "up" in Y of a few thousandths (8% of 1/16" dia bit). The "wall" should be straight when I solve this deflection issue.
    0.jpg

#19 GKTRK, Feb 14, 2023
  20. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

Grainger also has 15mm rails (still $500) but lower-profile.

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 9.36.09 AM.png

Make me wonder which would be better in a dusty environment - ball bearings or Frelon sliders? I believe our ShopBot has bearings.

#20 GKTRK, Feb 14, 2023
  21. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Bearings work fine. I just rebuilt my original CNC using a LEAD High Z kit then modified some plates for linear bearings and I have not seen an issue with dust.

22. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

Really interested to learn more about your mod – do you have any pictures, drawings, or parts list?

23. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I used aluminum angle mounted to existing openbuilds plates. I have all the files. For the Z I was able to use the nut block with the existing standoffs because my bearings are on the side of the cbeams. I am about 200 miles from home right now, but may be able to get on Fusion 360 to stake a screen shot

24. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I was able to access it. I used the 3D models for these blocks from McMaster I believe. Here is my Z axis. Blocks and spacers for the lead screw were standard from OpenBuilds. The top plate was my design, but the hole pattern was the same as the OpenBuilds plates:
    upload_2023-2-14_19-6-28.png
    On my Y axis, I reused my 1/2-10 5 start Acme threaded rods from McMaster-Carr. Sadly, I can not find anyone making the OpenBuilds style Delrin nut blocks for that thread pitch anymore. Luckily, the ones I made myself 6+ years ago are still good so I used them. I needed a 12.3 mm spacer for those. Luckily the aluminum plate I had was a little over half that so i cut two pieces for each side and sanded them down a bit.
    upload_2023-2-14_19-10-16.png

Overall:
    upload_2023-2-14_19-17-58.png

Here is a picture of it mostly assembled.
    upload_2023-2-14_19-30-16.png

#24 Giarc, Feb 14, 2023
  25. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

Wow thanks for digging out those files and pictures Craig, that is a really smart way to do this mod.

In my shop on my little 30x30" CNC I exclusively do very long 20-48 hour 3D finish carves of plywood where I move a 1/6" dia ball nose bit across the surface side to side along the X axis up/down in Z, and stepping back across the model in very small rows of Y distance. I do the 3D roughing on a ShopBot PRS Alpha with a much larger 1/2" shank bit at ~4"/second - there's no way I can do this with my. machine.

The height of my models can vary from 1" to 8" in Z so I need the maximum possible Z travel I can engineer with the parts I have. And I use a 2.2Kw water cooled spindle to stand up to the long machining times at 24,000 RPM.

I configured the machine with the spindle attached to the bottom of a 500mm C-Beam where the Z motor moves the entire assembly up/down.
    Photo Feb 15 2023, 7 05 51 AM.jpg IMG_0459.jpeg
    I did this for max Z height range (and I have extra vertical height on the side "towers" that I haven't trimmed yet until lI land on a final configuration) but I've discovered that the OB wheel/plate system isn't really sturdy enough in this config, thus the deflection pictured above.

Before I buy all these pricey linear slide parts, I am going to see if I can try to simply rebuild it the way the Lead 1010 is configured, whereby the Z-axis C-Beam is fixed to the X-Axis C-Beams, and the motor moves the plate + spindle.

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 6.57.03 AM.png

The question is - if I move the X-beams up so I have around 10" of clearance from the deck, will the bit be able to reach the spoilboard? I recall mocking this up while I was building and determining I'd only be able to have about 5-6 Inches of clearance max (around 3/4 of the height of the spindle, by lowering the spindle down in the mounts as much as possible).

Open to ideas/suggestions from you guys on how to get this done!

26. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

I would suggest adding a second gantry plate to the axis and a carrier rail to bring the spindle down. The upper Z plate will reduce the leverage that would exist on the wheels on the lower plate thus making it more rigid. Upper Z plate should not be attached to the Z-axis lead screw. The carrier rail will allow the spindle to reach down without overextending it within the mount.

Note: this is all about using leverage to your best advantage (or more specifically, not allowing the machine to use leverage against you). Keep the bottom of the fixed Z-axis beam and the lower X-axis beam as low as possible. Provide good spacing between the upper and lower X-axis beams and good spacing between the upper and lower moving Z-axis gantries. And the low moving Z-axis gantry should be near bottoming out at the bit reaches the spoil board.

Extended Z.JPG

Rough Sketchup model attached. It should be considered in concept only and is not dimensionally accurate.

It should be noted you are pushing the limits of what an aluminum extrusion based system will allow. Don't expect miracles. These systems will never match the capabilities of steel framed systems costing many time more.

Attached Files:

GKTRK likes this.
  27. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

Thank you Rick. And yes I will manage my expectations. I am really not putting much stress on the bit skimming 3mm off of my models after the 3D roughing (at least I don’t think I am…), but I do need to solve (or drastically lessen) the deflection issue.

28. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

I realized late last night that there is a flaw in my suggestion. The carrier rail will conflict with the bottom end plate on the Z-axis. You will either need to shave 1/8" off the front of the end plate or shim out the carrier rail 1/8" at the attachments such that the two will clear each other.

29. GKTRK

GKTRK New
    Builder

Hey guys wanted to say thanks for these suggestions. My machine has been reconfigured per Ricks design and is back up and running. It is much stronger built this way, but there is still a smudge of deflection at the lowest position due to the Z clearance.
    F62AE9CE-B6BF-40CF-BBA1-1EF7E53EFAD5.jpeg
    I’ve done some taller plywood billet 3D carves with great success.
    4C6A8C12-FA61-4117-A9D5-6E0D5FEC9859.jpeg
    The other day I decided to try a piece of walnut I’ve been saving. Unfortunately, after the first hour, I noticed that on the 3-D finishing pass tool marks are pretty aggressive. Is this deflection due to hardwood. Or is it a dull bit?

F267C58A-DF75-4ADF-93CE-F832A66D7834.jpeg
    BC1BB10C-5601-41EE-86D3-6DA2B0ECA3A8.jpeg

30. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Hard to say but easily resolved by process of elimination. Try a sharper bit.

And you've still got room to gain more rigidity. Spread your X-axis beams as far apart as possible. Bring the bottom one beam down flush with the base of the fixed Z-axis and take the top beam up. You're constraining your success by hanging on to the plate on the back side separating the gantries. Let go of it. If you feel the need, replace it with something longer. (This is assuming however the deflection is in the Y-axis direction. If the movement is in the X-axis direction, that will require an entirely different approach.)