Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Workbee CNC V3 Help!

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by doc.merten, Apr 16, 2022.

1. doc.merten

Builder

Hi there, just joined and apologies if I'm not in the right place.
    I have recently finished building my Workbee V3 CNC 1500x3000. I'm a lego/ikea pro and an electrician by trade so building and wiring the thing was easy. However I honestly thought that the DIY side of things would be in the construction and not in the programming. I guess I thought I'd build it, plug it in and it would just work. I'm not very good with computers but I can follow instructions well.
    • I'm having trouble with a few things like setting up the XYZ probe, it keeps giving me an ALARM:4 (Probe fail).
    • I understand the limit switches but what stops it going too far the other way? Is there some setting input required here?
    • What are some must do tests etc I should do before I try and load some gcode?
    • I also have 15w laser module attached to the Z axis that I have no idea how to set up.
    My machine:
    1500x3000 Workbee CNC
    Nema 23 Stepper Motors
    XPRO V5 Controller
    1.5kw Air Cooled Spindle
    I'm located in NSW, Australia. Anyone willing to help me get this thing going? Thanks in advance.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sorry to hear you are having trouble, where was the kit purchased from?

3. doc.merten

Builder

Hi Peter,

It was purchased from here:
    WorkBee CNC - Maker Store PTY LTD

I have the machine working, ie I can jog it around etc but theres just a few final hurdles that I cant seem to work out.

I'm also having trouble setting the Max Travel, I've followed the steps in some tutorials on youtube etc and yet i can still jog beyond my set limit. I feel like I'm making a simple mistake somewhere

Thanks

4. doc.merten

Builder

I should mention RE: the XYZ Probe, I've read a lot of threads where they seem to have an earthing issue and I don't believe that is the case for me. I don't have continuity between my GND and the frame, and my green light on the XPRO only comes on when i close circuit between the plate and the clip of the Probe.

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It might be best to contact the vendor you purchased from for tech support

Multimeter will confirm a grounding loop if it is the case, see XYZ Probe Plus with VFDs and other ground-loop inducing components

Most important, don't apply workarounds - resolve the short circuit (if that is the problem)

Regarding your other issues, read (the entire) Grbl wiki - as well as any documentation for the Grbl fork your controller uses to learn more about Soft Limits etc