Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

WorkBee CNC Machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Ryan Lock, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

This looks like a good table, but a bit light in my opinion. I was just thinking of suggesting a product called Kee Klamps, which are modular pipe fittings used to construct railings and support systems for machinery. They come in several sizes and shapes, and make building custom frames a breeze.

Kee Klamp • Kee Safety, Canada

Of course, there are lots of companies who make structural pipe fittings like these, Kee Safety is in Canada, you should be able to find a local distributor. Lowes carries them in the US, not sure about the UK and Europe.

MG

Ryan Lock likes this.
  2. michielproce

Builder

The connectors I used look exactly like the "Kee Klamps". I got them at this Dutch webshop: Buiskoppeling 33.7 mm kopen? | De beste prijzen | Steigerbuisstunter.nl. They need to be tightened really hard for the construction to become stable. I'm very pleased with the result.
    It would have been even better to use square tubes and weld the whole thing together. However I'm not a welder and having someone else do it would have cost about twice as much as the scaffolding option.

3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

like MG suggested above, I built a torsion box table top for my 1500x850 router. Here is an example. Build a Torsion Box Assembly Table - FineWoodworking I built mine inside the house on my floor because it was the largest and flattest area I had. In the end there was only a 1/2mm crown to the surface over the entire 1500 mm.

4. artfuturo

artfuturo New
    Builder

Hi guys

thanks very much for the great feedback, this is really appreciated. It is so valuable to have a forum like this where you can tap into the experience of a larger group and not make the typical beginner mistakes that could come very costly.

As far as my router table goes, I got the message loud and clear, I have to build it more solid and absolutely flat. I already have something in mind and will be working on it over the next few days.

But then, next question :). I would like to finish the table before I receive the kit so I can use it as a platform for the build but I don't know how large I should make it.
    1. For a 1000x1500mm router, how big would you build the table as there are overhangs of motors and cables? Space needed for the control laptop?
    2. What is a good height? I would assume that it should be a little higher than a typical workbench.
    Thanks again for your feedback.

Cheers
    Phil

5. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

1. Look at the picture in the first post.It will give you a good idea of how the machine sits on a table and if you need overhang and if yes, how much. It's not an exact science and depends on the way you build your machine since it's a custom job.
    2. Depends on how tall you are. I'm a little over 6' 2" and I make my benches and machine stands high so that I don't have to bend for hours while I'm working. The cutting surface will be about 4" higher than the table so measure the table height that suits you.

GrayUK likes this.
  6. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

My build (not a workbee) is 1500mm long by about 850mm wide. My torsion box is slightly longer than 1500 mm and the machine sits almost flush to the table edge on each end of the Y axis. The extreme outer edges of the cnc end plates are flush with the edge on the side that does not contain the wiring. For the side with the wiring and drag chain there is an additional 4 inches along the width. From the floor to the top of the torsion box is 39 inches up. The 80mm extrusion plus another 19.05 mm spoilboard sits on top. I am 6 feet tall and this is a great working height. Very little bending over when visually aligning my zeros on the work piece. My base it sits on a 2x4 Basics Workbench and this Adjustable-Mobile-Power-Tools base with extensions. Since 2x4s are never straight, I made my own by laminating 1/2" plywood strips. This way, the top of the base was perfectly flat for the torsion box. This was probably not necessary, but it cost about the same as 2x4s and gave me piece of mind it was flat. The info on how I built the torsion box (which weighs a ton :)) and constructed the base cabinet is here if you are curious: lead-screw-driven-ox-derivative .

* I do not yet have a spot figured out for the laptop. Although, probably poor form, I just set the laptop on the spoilboard well away from the work area. I rarely use the full length of the machine. In fact, I pretty much just use the same 14" x 14" spot on the spoil board. I probably should have built a smaller machine.:rolleyes:

#246 Giarc, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  7. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Craig
    I've not seen those 2 x 4 Basics Workbench before. Look good enough. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I'll keep them in mind when I get my new workshop sorted.
    Gray

8. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I am very happy with them. I actually bought the $79 set that had additional parts for shelves on the work bench. I wanted those parts to make a firewood rack and it was cheaper getting them together rather than ordering separately.

GrayUK likes this.
  9. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

@artfuturo You would want the table at least 200mm bigger on each axis to have enough room (This isn't including room for the laptop)

Ryan

10. artfuturo

artfuturo New
    Builder

Thanks Ryan for that. I took the advice of the forum and ended up with a rather improved design :):
    • A-Frame Raw Steel 60x60x3mm box section legs (see picture)
    • Four 1900mm mild steel beams across those two legs in 60x40x3mm box section
    • On top of that, a 2000x1220x18mm of structural hardwood plywood sheet
    • M8 countersunk screws to screw everything together.
    This will provide a solid base and enough space for the frame and the control laptop. Further, because the legs don't use much room and will be spaced apart as much as possible, I can use the space under the table for storage. This will help because my workshop is on the small side.

I will post pictures once I have everything put together.

Phil

Attached Files:

Ryan Lock and Stoffel like this.
  11. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

You may want to put some support in the center so that the plywood will not be able to sag in the middle.

12. CNCKitCompany

Builder

I was just thinking about table sizes, so I'm glad to read the latest posts.

I've got a small workshop at the moment, so now I'm thinking of building a smaller machine, something though I could hide away and only pull out as needed. Though I'd bet it would be a two person job to move the machine once it is assembled.

13. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Just an update for anyone waiting on a kit. If you bought from the 1/1 till about the end of jan your kit will be shipped very soon. Everything is picked/labelled/cut/ & tapped, but It takes a surprisingly long amount of time to pack it all safely for shipping

14. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

This is precicely why I don't offer kits. Takes more time to pack it up than it would to build the dang thing...

MG

Ryan Lock and GrayUK like this.
  15. CNCKitCompany

Builder

On the topic of table tops, I came across this video from Modern Builds last night on YouTube. I like the idea of building a very solid, very rigid table top with the 2x4. It might take a bit of work to make it level, if you don't have a planer.

Ryan Lock and Chillimonster like this.
  16. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I used this 2x4-Basics-Workbench, and made my own 2x4s by laminating 3 layers of 1/2 inch (or maybe it was 5/8"?) plywood. It seems to be nearly impossible to find dimentionally accurate and stable - not to mention 'uncrowned" - 2x4s. It works great. I have it on a mobile base and is documented in my CNC router build if you are curious. If you do not use a mobile base, it comes in under $100 including the torsion box top.

Kyo and Chillimonster like this.
  17. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Same bench kits we are using in our families little maker shed. Love them! Hoping to add a few to the inside space as well. I will have to keep laminating plywood in mind for next time. I am not sure if it is just us in the pnw or what. But you are right, finding decent 2x4's is a right pain in the a** anymore. Mike's bench is cool, but if your going to send it through the planner might as well give the laminated plywood a try. Should be more dimensionally stable not being solid wood I would think as well.

Giarc likes this.
  18. CNCKitCompany

Builder

For my existing workshop, I built a workbench similar to this, with different vises. I'd consider doing this one again. I do like the beefiness of the 2x4 table top I linked to earlier. However for the legs and cross members this was a really easy build using plywood.

Rock-Solid Plywood Bench - FineWoodworking

19. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I love a nice beautiful solid wooden work bench like that one, but for my CNC I wanted to be as dimensionally stable as possible. That is why I went with the plastic kit with plywood 2x4s and a particle board torsion box which was sealed with multiple coats of varnish. Unfinished particle board does not like it when you spill beer on it.:) As Kyo mentioned above, for a geographical area that produces as much lumber as we do, it sure is hard to come across a nice straight 2x4.

20. CNCKitCompany

Builder

The article linked isn't a solid wood workbench. If I recall it was two, maybe three sheets of plywood. Cut into strips and then glued together to help keep things dimensionally stable. Nearly the whole thing is a plywood sandwich to make large "timber". The top is MDF though, but not a torsion box.

Giarc likes this.
  21. artfuturo

artfuturo New
    Builder

Thanks Ryan for a very timely delivery and excellent communication.
    The excitement level is rather high. I still have to finish the base table as I haven't received the metal legs yet, but they should arrive on Friday.
    I will keep you posted.

IMG_20180214_133636[1].jpg

Ryan Lock, GrayUK and CNCKitCompany like this.
  22. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

@artfuturo Hope the build goes well. Looks like the box arrived in relatively good condition :thumbsup:

23. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Anyone have a Sketchup model of this machine? Preferably '16 or '17...

Also the assembly manual?

MG

24. michielproce

Builder

Manual should be under "Documentation & Downloads" at
    WorkBee CNC Kit – A Complete CNC Machine Setup but the website tabs seem to be broken at the moment..

These are the links that are normally on the site:

WorkBee Belt Mechanical Assembly Manual

WorkBee Screw Mechanical Assembly Manual

WorkBee Belt & Screw Mechanical Assembly Manual Guide

WorkBee Full Kit Assembly Manual

Plates DXF/STEP & Drawing Files

I think there used to be a complete 3d model (not in Sketchup format, but convertable) in the "Plates DXF/STEP & Drawing Files", but I can't find it anymore..

25. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Thanks Michiel!

Yeah, I looked there first but didn't find them. Thanks for the links.

Now I just need someone with the Sketchup model...

MG

26. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

27. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

No, unfortunately Sketchup (at least the free version) cannot import anything but .3DS and .DAE, whatever those are.

Can anyone out there convert this for me?

MG

28. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

Actually, MG, you can import .stl files into SketchUp. Google it and you'll find the addon to Sketchup. The only problem I have with importing .stl files into any program is that it is made up of lots of triangles.

29. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

I will see what i can get you.

Ryan

30. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Justin:

I'm aware of the .STL file import and export extensions. Unfortunately, the files are Step Files, not STL...

That's one thing I hate about Sketchup, they have no facility to import or export any other file type, except some completely unheard of file formats, unless you want to pay $700 for the pro version. Even any extensions that could do this cost quite a bit of money.

MG