Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

WorkBee CNC Machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Ryan Lock, Sep 21, 2017.

1. T4Concepts

T4Concepts Journeyman
    Builder

View attachment 48495
    Yup, totally agree, it's not as if you'll suffer from voltage drop as you would on a 12v system as in a car.
    Stepper motors at the back also serves to protect the motors from any knocks.
    The other advantage I've noticed as mine are at the rear on my WorkBee, you can install your machine with an overhang on the leading edge ............... no leaning over when changing tools.

Good build mate :thumbsup:

He's my modified WorkBee, with the 'Upper' work surface installed. You'll spend a lot of time in front of your machine, so it makes a lot of sense to have an uncluttered area in which to work without the need to lean over stuff constantly >>

37_IMG_0743.jpg

TURK

2. pieri70

pieri70 New
    Builder

Ok
    I'll go for back installation. Do you know some good way to cover wires inside alu profiles?

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sorry to say but those cannot run a CNC. Tiny little Pololu footprint stepper drivers suffer severe thermal issues. Also the chinese knockoffs are still the Grbl 0.8 pinout. Aint worth the $5 :)

larosta and Metalguru like this.
  4. pieri70

pieri70 New
    Builder

The arduino cnc shield is original from protoneer
    For the pololu style drivers I thought to use the S109 based ones

S109 V1.1 - FYSETC WIKI

Do you think they have thermal issues?

5. Peter Van Der Walt

Good on you for supporting the original developer. Thank you

Well if you already bought it, try. But if it doesn't, you already know whats wrong too

pieri70 likes this.
  6. pieri70

pieri70 New
    Builder

I also had a cinese clone that I used on my first cnc (4 axis foam cutter) but I read that the protoneer original one had a circuitry for End-Stop and Probe signal filtering.
    They say that this eliminates false triggers and makes it possible use non-shielded cable for end-stops/probes.

So 20$ are, I hope, well paid.

For drivers side, I read that someone use the DRV8825 with Nema23 but the original ones can supply up to 2.2A max.
    S109 driver based on the Toshiba TB67S109 stepper motor driver should have maximum input voltage: 50V; maximum output current: 4A (at good heat dissipation condition).

For sure I'll use them with a big heatsink and a fan pointed at it.
    I hope it will work, otherwise I can buy some external drivers and connect them to the cnc shield.
    Let's see..

7. Peter Van Der Walt

In my own testing, thermal cutout at 600-700mA with 10x10x8mm heatsink and fan. Problem with heatsinks on modern stepper driver chips are, its useless on top of the plastic of the chip :) - i always have a bit of a laugh at the chinese vendors trying to convince people that will help.
    They were designed with a solderable thermal pad in the bottom, meant to heatsink into large PCB area with 4 layer copper (refer to https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slma002h/slma002h.pdf?ts=1603875747569)

In Blackbox we have that, and still had to add 2pc x 30x40x10mm heatsinks and a fan to cope with the heat. The limitation of the CNC Shield concept is the very little PCB area available for thermal management. A PCB that small just cannot do much to help a thermal pad.

Before you buy external drivers, consider the https://docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox though

8. pieri70

pieri70 New
    Builder

Thank you
    yes I saw the blackbox solution, really nice all in one solution
    But I prefere to have pieces that can be substituted if broken, so external drivers changeable is my preferred solution.

Today I saw a new external driver (MKS TB67S109_OC Driver 4A max) based on Toshiba TB67S109 chip with big PCB and heatsink or a
    (MKS TMC2160_OC TMC2160 driver 4.33A max), based on trinamic TMC2160 chip, made by Makerbase.
    The second one has 2.3A min current so it may be overkill for my motors (2A) but has spreadcycle and on my 3D printer is really silent and super smooth..

9. cnc_1500

cnc_1500 New
    Builder

Hi all,

Have something puzzling me about my new Workbee Leadscrew 1515. My main use case is cutting 1/2" and 3/4" birch plywood.

I've familiarised myself somewhat with the chipload formula, but can't seem to get anywhere near the recommended values.

If I set my Makita router to its minimum 9000 rpm, and the workbee to its max 2500 mm/min, with the standard 6.35 mm 2-flute up cutter I get a chipload of 0.00437, compared to the recommended range of 0.011 - 0.013. My machine needs to run 3 times faster or rotate 3 times slower to hit that! And it's recommended to run at pass depths of half the bit width? Even at 1.5 mm passes it sounds like the machine is struggling, wouldn't fancy trying it at 3.175 mm.

So, what should I be doing here? My natural inclination has been to back off from these extrema values, so I usually end up with something like 10000 rpm and 2000 mm/min, but it really doesn't seem right. Then I see Ooznest/Ryan suggesting running the router at 18500 for MDF earlier in the thread, or even 27000 for hardwood on Youtube, which seems to go against the chipload formula entirely. Is chipload / bit wear only something that industrial CNC users should care about?

The cuts do come out looking OK, but the machine sounds strained, which has me worried. Thanks in advance for any direction.

And if I'm trying to do something that's beyond the capacity of this machine, please let me know what my options are with upgrading it.

#579 cnc_1500, Aug 8, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  10. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

What controller do you have? The default maximum speed (federate) is rather conservative - if it's the Duet controller edit your config.g file and look for the max speed settings. Increase it until you get problems like motors stalling and then drop back. You should be able to get your maximum speed (for rapid moves at least) up to 4000 mm/min without problems. Whether you can cut at that federate will depend on other factors, like your depth of cut, sharpness of bit, and how rigid your machine is.
    Alex.

And yes, many speeds/feedrate tables are for industrial machines which are in a completely different league compared to the workbee.

11. cnc_1500

cnc_1500 New
    Builder

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I have the Duet 2 Wifi controller. I can't check it right now but I imagine it's set to the default of 2500.

Not especially sure what a "rapid" move is, but I'm using Fusion 360 with the Ooznest post processor which is hopefully smart enough to make the things that need to be rapid, rapid. I will give 4000 mm/min a go!

I've found two other useful data points:

Someone cutting 4 mm passes in plywood at 19700 rpm

An encouraging presentation saying not to worry about chipload

PS: I have added 2 extra 2080 extrusions to the base of my Workbee, since the sides of my spoilerboard were drooping. Hopefully that's increased its rigidity some too.

12. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

A rapid move is a move without cutting. If you are using Fusion 360 with the "personal use" licence you might be interested in my modification of the Ooznest post processor - Autodesk removed rapid moves for hobby users - my post processor restores most of them and also allows you to use multiple work co-ordinate settings. I have two versions of it - one also allows you to use g-code to control a spindle - on/off and speed control. The link below is to the first one - let me know if you want the one that allows spindle control.

Fusion 360/Duet post processor

Alex.

David the swarfer likes this.
  13. cnc_1500

cnc_1500 New
    Builder

Thanks for the offer Alex, I'm on a "startup" licence, so maybe this doesn't apply to me? I will check it out anyway, appreciate it.

14. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Honestly, I have never worried about chip loads for any soft materials (wood, plastics, and aluminum). I go by what I found works best. Woods and plastics that is 2500mm/min and a DOC of 1/2 the diameter of the end mill. Aluminum is more conservative at 900mm/min and a shallower DOC. With the Makita I have I am usually running most things between dial speed 3 and 4. It just sounds right when I cut and nothing is burning or melting.

This weekend I was cutting a lot of ABS plastic using this Sharkbits 1/8" endmill and it was cutting through the ABS like butter. Before, I was using 1/8" shaft diameter end mills. This one had a 1/4" diameter shaft so I upped the depth of cut to nearly the diameter of the endmill so I could get through the material in 2 passes. It worked beautifully. Sadly I goofed on a zero point in my CAM setup and watched that beautiful endmill snap off as it tried to cut through a hold down bolt at 2500 mm/min. :banghead:

15. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

I'm pretty much in Giarc's ballpark numbers as well. Although I consult the chip formulas, they are definitely geared towards industrial machines. But one table that we can use freely with our "desktop" machines are the settings for 1/8" bits - which is why I have a whole lot of them! I also use 1/4" bits but sometimes tweak the depth of cut to suit a demanding cut (the chip load on a 1/4" endmill is around140% more than a 1/8" bit).

16. Hector Beltran

Hector Beltran Well-Known
    Builder

Hi

I have upgraded my workbee 1010 to full linear rails and I am pretty happy with the results. I am looking at the electronics now since I’ll have to reposition my controller board. My workbee came with the xpro 1. What is CNC xPRO · Spark-Concepts/xPRO Wiki controller board. My question is, will the black box be a good upgrade to do? I cut wood and aluminum and I am looking into adding a laser module. I do have the original NEMA stepper motors, but I was hopping to push them a bit faster now that the machine is more rigid. What do you guys think?

17. Peter Van Der Walt

Definitely! Much stronger, great support, super easy to wire, awesomely easy software. See docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox

18. Hector Beltran

Hector Beltran Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks! I’ll put it on my list.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  19. Jds2903

Jds2903 New
    Builder

Are the files for this still available? I cant get any link to work?

20. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

21. Jds2903

Jds2903 New
    Builder

Alex Chambers likes this.
  22. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

There are some minor differences between the Ooznest and Openbuilds versions of the workbee - was there anything specific you were looking for?
    Alex

23. Jds2903

Jds2903 New
    Builder

No I was really interested in how exactly it went together. I have never worked with the v-slot before and wanted to see it from every angle. I would be really interested in trying to make a build like this.

24. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I have a very old manual for the Ooznest version of the workbee in pdf format - I'll attach it here;

Alex.

Attached Files:

25. Peter Van Der Walt

Also see our flagships LEAD CNC 1010 (40" x 40") and OpenBuilds LEAD CNC Machine 1515 (60" x 60") - if you intend learning about V-Slot and the modular build system, these are entirely made of standard catalog parts, no custom plates involved :) making them better to teach you some design techniques using the entire off-the-shelf set of parts

OPENBUILDS MACHINES | OpenBuilds is worth checking out too. Our actuators demonstrate V-Slot at its best, and then when joined together in different configurations, becomes machines. Each of our Builds has a Files and Drawings tab with detailed Sketchup models including (for the actuators) example assemblies of multiples joined together

Alex Chambers likes this.
  26. Jds2903

Jds2903 New
    Builder

Thank you Alex very kind. Will make for some good reading

Dean

27. Jds2903

Jds2903 New
    Builder

Hi, thank you. This will be very interesting. I am a design engineer in the construction industry but would like a garage build for my workshop at home. Love the work carried out here.