Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

WorkBee 1515 drag chain placement

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by rooter, May 27, 2020.

1. rooter

rooter New
    Builder

I'm trying to follow various instruction manuals to figure out how to attach the drag chains on my WorkBee 1515. Because the axes are so long, I have a belt driven system. Also due to this, there are two motors to move the Y-axis. I can't find any instructions for my set up, so I'm just trying to piece it all together from different sources.

The instructions I found on Ooznest to attach my drag chains show a chain that is the same length as the axis and attaches directly to the machine.

[​IMG]

My Y axis is almost twice as long as the chain, so this isn't a possibility. I bought a kit with everything, so I'm assuming I'm just missing something. Am I supposed to attach the Y drag chains in the center of the axes and screw them directly into the table? This leaves .75m of open wire just dangling across the table, which doesn't seem right. Does anyone have any tips? Maybe someone has built their own WorkBee 1515 and has some photos to share?

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

The fixed end of the Y drag chain needs to be close to where you want to put the controller or at the point where you want the cables to emerge if you are going to protect them some other way. If you put the fixed end of the drag chain in the centre of the Y axis how are you going to protect the wiring from the Y steppers and Y endstop switch? Is your X drag chain the right length? Where did you get the machine from? They may have supplied the wrong length.
    Alex.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Unclip the opposing ends from two chains, then clip the chains together. Cable chains are modular, you can add/remove segments as you please

4. rooter

rooter New
    Builder

Then I don't have enough chains. It's from a kit and they seem to take extreme care making sure everything is correct, but I guess they could have messed up. I'll contact SPAM 3D. Thanks

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

SPAM. I knew it. :duh:

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.