Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

WorkBee 1515 Build

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Scott Iwen, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Scott Iwen

Builder

Hello,
    Total noob here, but I am doing my due diligence for a WorkBee 1515 build. I have a few questions regarding suppliers and hardware. First a little about me and my intent for the routers intended use. I am a mechanical engineer by trade with a side gig of sign making, weird, right? Ive been a part time sign maker for about 20 years now. It offers a little gray versus the black and white of engineering. As far as CNC machinery goes, none of the aspects of a CNC router are foreign to me, electrical or mechanical. I have a pretty good grasp on how the systems are integrated with each other and how it's all supposed to work. So knowing that:
    • I plan on using this for HDU foam, aluminum composite material (diabond) and wood. No plans for using it with aluminum so far.
    • I plan on building a 1515 with the intent of having capability to route longer panels in sections, i.e.4x8 sheets, but not all the time. Just giving myself some options if the opportunity arises.
    • I have decided to use Centroid Acorn for the motion control duties
    • I would prefer screw drive (with x axis lead screws in tension) over belt drive for greater resolution and accuracy.
    • I would like to drive the axes with servo motors
    • I do plan on using a VFD driven spindle.
    Here are a few questions I am just going to throw out there to start with:
    • Does anybody have experience with ordering mechanical kits from AliExpress, specifically SPAM 3D? The price is so attractive, but as in life, you usually get what you pay for............usually. For a 1515 mechanical kit, the ask is $650 with free shipping. I'm going to have to assume there are taxes, duties, V.A.T...........whatever you call it. Just wondering if anybody took this route and could share your experience with a direct purchase from China. And before anybody starts ragging on me about being a cheap *** tightwad, I'm on a budget and I'm just simply asking the question: "Is it really cheaper in the long run or does the tightwad always pay twice".
    • Regarding servos: I am willing to spend a little more on motors, especially ones with feedback. I'm not sure I like hybrid steppers either, because, in the end, it's still a stepper motor with the same behavioral characteristics of a stepper, only with superior positional accuracy. I have my eye on the JMC iHSV57-30-18-36,180W 3000rpm NEMA23 integrated servos, the V6 versions specifically. Does anybody have experience with these motors and software? I see a lot of videos on YouTube by German users. It appears they work really well. Unfortunately, I don't speak German and I can't decrypt what the hell they are saying. It sounds like the V6s have auto-tuning, which is a vast improvement over the V5. The ClearPath servos look like the ****, but at this point in the game, that isn't an option. They are asking a lot for those, but obviously, well worth every penny.
    Any help and/or input would be appreciated.

Scott

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Sadly, use the search button up top for the word SPAM, I won't say anything, the search button will. Tears have a price

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Servo's are overrated on hobby style machines. If you are skipping steps something is wrong.
    Get a BlackBox (docs.openbuilds.com/blackbox) and the only motor issues you'll see are mechanical (its as good as you build it)

Re long axes: How to calculate V-Slot® deflection is a worthy piece of science