Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Workbee 1510 questions

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by tsipis, May 12, 2019.

1. tsipis

tsipis New
    Builder

Hello, as a beginner I decided instead to build a machine from the beginning to buy a construction kit. The machine I need to work with wood (hard and soft wood). I am in the beginning of a small business, making musical instruments and my budget is relatively low and I can not go to expensive machines. Such a machine will solve my hands at several stages of construction. As a solution, the purchase of the above kit seemed quite good. There are a lot of questions now. Belt driving system will cause me problems in accuracy and screw drive is a one-way or do you believe that with the Belt drive I can do the job? I have found to buy Chinese electronics from my friend who start but never finish the construction of a machine and I do not know if they are compatible with the above kit. (Can I say what I have or is against the rules of the forum?)
    Also what stepper motors do you suggest? I think that the bigger the better, but which motor do you recommend not to cause problems in the kit? Also, in my research I found a used machine that the seller says is the same with the above product but I have seen there are Chinese copies in the market, I do not want to buy Chinese for a number of reasons and I believe we all agree to it.
    Is there a way to see if this particular machine is really what the seller says or is a bad Chinese copy? Unfortunately, because he says he has lost the purchase invoice I can not see it from there, do you have any other idea?
    I apologize for my poor English, it is not my mother language and I'm trying for the best, I hope you understand my writing.
    Thanks.

#1 tsipis, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
  2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master, Openbuilds Team
    Moderator Builder

Hi @tsipis, welcome to the forum! We need a bit more information before we can answer your questions. You said you have got Chinese electronics from a friend - have you got the technical information for that? What stepper drivers does it use - that might affect what motors you can use.
    If you need the 1510 you would need to use belt drive on the 1500mm axis unless you were prepared to modify the design to take larger diameter leadscrews. That's not a problem for working in wood - a well constructed and adjusted belt drive machine can get close to +/- 0.2mm - more than good enough for most woodwork (a leadscrew machine might achieve +/- 0.1mm).
    If what you want is a machine you can build quickly so that you can get on with cutting materials I would suggest you go with your idea of buying a kit, but have a look at the blackbox controller which is designed for people who want to get running with as little trouble as possible.
    As for buying a secondhand machine - if it's a genuine Openbuilds machine you will get support here, if it's not you might be taking a risk. (people here will still try to help but may not be able to)
    Standard Nema 23's from Openbuilds should be OK for your machine - you don't want motors that are too powerful for the structure of the machine and those motors are powerful enough for the work you are planning (they are what I have on my 1010 workbee).
    Alex.

GrayUK likes this.
  3. tsipis

tsipis New
    Builder

Hello Alex thnx for the reply.
    The 1510 is unfortunately the only machine that will suit me in dimensions without having any problems in the constructions I have in mind. I certainly do not want to go into the process of modifying the machine, and I want to make the right choice from the start. The accuracy you say (0.2mm) I think it's okay for me. As for the used machine I have found, the seller does not have the purchase invoice, so I can not check from there if it is what she says, if you know what to watch to confirm that it is not copy from China it will help me a lot . I'll take a look at the Black box controller you said, but I would like to know if these electronics I have, do for the job, or else I will throw them in the trash.
    The electronics are as follows:
    4 Single Axis TB6600 0.2-5A Two Phase Hybrid Stepper Motor Driver Controller
    1 24V 21A 500W Switching Power Supply
    1 USB MACH3 100Khz Breakout Board 5 Axis Interface Driver

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master, Openbuilds Team
    Moderator Builder

I can't fully answer your question about the electronics, but if you search the forum (top right, magnifying glass) for TB6600 you will find a lot of posts about them - most of them discussing problems.
    I am sure that someone on here will have had some experience with electronics like those and hopefully they will spot this thread.
    Alex.