Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Workbee 1050 looking for advice

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Neil Scott, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Neil Scott

Builder

Hello

I have been offered a very good deal on a full mechanical and electrical kit on a Workbee 1050 but its on a time limit so I am looking for some quick advice please on this machine and what it can do and how good it is please.

I can not go for a larger machine as i have serious mobility issues that mean the 50 width is about as big as I can manage from a chair.

I am looking to work with my 10 watt european diode laser and using it for milling, wood, acrylic, aluminium from making name plates and cutting out aluminium plate . I will never need it for rotary work. I alsorequire lead screws for accuracy.

Does anyone please have any advice or comments on this machine for me. thank you very much.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I have a workbee 1010 which I am very happy with. Unfortunately you will not find many people who are in a position to offer a direct comparison with any other machine - most of us only have one! :D
    The workbee with leadscrews is certainly capable of cutting wood and aluminium, you'll need a bit more care with acrylic because it won't have the higher feed rate you would get with a belt drive machine - still very possible though.
    Alex.

3. Neil Scott

Builder

thanks ever so much and the tip on acrylic, didn't think of that one!!!!

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Also heed @Peter Van Der Walt's advice re V-slot Europe in your other thread. As you are based in Europe have a look at Ooznest - genuine Openbuilds dealer and excellent reputation.
    Can't advise you on suitability for laser use I'm afraid - from what I read here feed rate may be a bit of an issue.
    Alex.