Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Workbee 1050 help please

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by DannyDog, Nov 14, 2019.

1. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

Right, I'm building the beast and the 2 things I am having a major issue is how tight everything is. The eccentrics are soo tight even at there most open point the wheels are stiff is this going to be an issue? Tried quadruple checking the eccentrics and everything is spot on just it's super tight once on the c beam.

The next is no I cannot get it truly square when putting the x plates on the c beam. There is exactly 0.6mm gap under it, it twists so slightly, there is just no play in any of the cbeam or c slot fastenings to adjust, again super tight. Undone them and it just doesn't budge. I had this on my mini mill too. Will this affect it once placed on the y beams?

Attached Files:

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi @DannyDog, firstly - just checking the obvious - did you put precision shims where they are needed? especially between the bearings when you assembled the V wheels?
    The tyres on the V wheels will "bed in" with a little use, and a bit stiff to start with is better than too loose. There should be some friction as you push the gantry along the C-beam, but the wheels should turn.
    Only you can judge whether what you have is acceptable or too tight.
    I'm afraid I don't really get your second question - in which direction(s) is the gantry out of square?
    Alex.

3. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

Cheers. That answers my 1st question.

Right, if looking at the gantry from the front the left front plate is level but the right plate is off the table at the back right. If I push the back right flat the front left lifts by about 0.6mm

Attached Files:

4. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Hi @DannyDog, assuming you have assembled it correctly and loosening the bolts, pulling it square and re-tightening doesn't fix it, you may have a gantry plate that is slightly out of spec. My workbee gantry plates had a very small amount of play - it sounds as though yours haven't.
    E-mail Ryan at Ooznest - he checks e-mail several times a day, but only checks this forum occasionally ([email protected]).
    Alex.
    PS where abouts in the UK are you?

#4 Alex Chambers, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  5. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

North wales. Colwyn bay. Now I'm guessing this amount of out would transfer in my work? I was considering seeing if swimming the cbeam may do it.

Thank you.

6. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Too far from me.
    I hesitate to recommend this on bits you have just bought, but enlarging some of the holes in one gantry plate would allow you to align the plates on a flat surface and then tighten bolts.
    Alex.

DannyDog likes this.
  7. DannyDog

DannyDog New
    Builder

And sorted.

Upon inspection I noticed that holes on one plate had a couple of extra bits on them so grabbed a burr and ground them a tad. All sorted.

Thank you.