Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Will the store cut V-Slots for me?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by GinoTheCop, Jan 29, 2016.

1. GinoTheCop

GinoTheCop Journeyman
    Builder

I know this is not a fair request but my situation is a little bit different. As I live in Istanbul Turkey, I want to place my order and have it sent over to a friend who lives in NYC. I will then go and pick them up from him in march, when I will be visiting NYC and bring them here while coming back. As I plan to build a 750 by 500 setup i think I can pack them V-Slots together and bring them without any problems. The rest of the components can fit in my suitcase with no problems.

Would it be too much to ask to cut 2 20X80 1500s in to two before shipping to NYC?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hello @GinoTheCop
    We would love to add a custom cutting service in the future. Currently, we have a Chop Saw and a metal cutting blade which we use for personal cuts.
    We could include the cuts you are requesting but please keep in mind that the tolerance would be about 1mm.
    If you would like to move forward with this order, please just add a note with the details and we’ll take care of it. :thumbsup:
    Thank you,
    OpenBuilds Team

GinoTheCop likes this.
  3. GinoTheCop

GinoTheCop Journeyman
    Builder

Hello @Mark Carew

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply.

I am currently doing my research on what route to go as I will be cutting 2-3 mm aluminium mostly for my computer case modding projects. 750X750 would be the ideal size for me and do you think OX would be the right route for me to go?

Thanks once again

4. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

The OX can mill aluminum if you take your time and do very shallow cuts. There are many guys out there who have done this. But to cut plate you really want something with a more beef to it and so I would recommend making a larger C-Beam machine. You should be able to work something up that will give you the stout nature of the C-Beam as well as the power of the lead screw driven system. Check out some of the many C-Beam inspired designs.
    These should get you going in the right direction and give you a machine that can turn the 2-3 mil aluminum into the plates and mods your after no problem.
    OX-SUMO
    C-Beam Double X
    HOSS
    Robert Bailey's C-Beam Router Build
    Hope this helps

5. GinoTheCop

GinoTheCop Journeyman
    Builder

Thanks for this very useful heads-up.

I have been doing some more planning and I think I will get the rails from OpenBuilds Europe so it will not be much problem to bring them over here.

Rest of the items can be brought from USA no problems.

I have been working on sketch-up a bit today and here is roughly what I might end up with:

The most important questions;

What plates to use for Z gantry?

Should I use a single plate on Y axis instead of two? or even four of them to hold the wasteboard?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GrayUK and Mark Carew like this.
  6. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

You will need to move the whole gantry assembly forward. The center of the router mount should be centered on the length of the Y-axis rails that way as the work platform moves underneath it, it can reach both the front and back edges. The back rail supporting the electronics will also need to move upward as the work platform will need to slide beneath it.

Two plates on the Y-axis should be fine. If you desire four, I would suggest using four of the regular V-slot Gantry Plates.

Very nice drawings by the way.

Mark Carew likes this.
  7. GinoTheCop

GinoTheCop Journeyman
    Builder

Yes thats what i been doing on my model . As soon as I posted the renders I noticed the errors you mentioned. I have used layering options in sketch-up instead of grouping components. I was trying to make it possible to see each type of the parts separately. But thats a pain to move a component to see the clearance and adjust accordingly. Anyways I am noob when it comes to cnc builds and I am learning currently. Thank a bunch for the heads up.

#7 GinoTheCop, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  8. GinoTheCop

GinoTheCop Journeyman
    Builder

OK worked on the model a little more...

Any comments and help is highly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GrayUK likes this.
  9. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Excellent drawings! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    What render did you use?
    Gray

10. TerryOx

TerryOx Well-Known
    Builder

Beautiful, including the rendered shadows.
    And even V-slot for the table! :)

#10 TerryOx, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016