Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Where is the best place on the forums if I am just getting started with my first CNC router build?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by SeanD, Apr 2, 2019.

1. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

I have (probably naively) started purchasing parts for my first CNC router. I have a mate who has a wood based DIY setup that he purchased 2nd hand a few years back and I helped him rewire and rebuild. I caught the bug. I need a machine of my own. I understand a lot of the functionality of the machines now as I have a background in computers and some electronics so it was pretty straight forward for me. The problem is that I have jumped in head first and don't know some of the critical points I need to specifically for building my own specifically where it will differ from my mate's machine.

Is there a good place on the forums to post what I have planned out and get some input on it? I have specific questions about wiring cooling fans and if the components I have ordered are sufficient. Also I know that people on these forums seem super helpful, but am I asking too much if asking for advice on my entire setup? Any tips on posting to the forums would be really appreciated.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

1 change the title of the thread so people know what you are asking about.
    2 start us off with a sketch of what you are trying to achieve.
    I think you will find you get a lot of interest and (helpful ? ) suggestions. :):thumbsup:

SpringBob and SeanD like this.
  3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Also well worth while browsing through the builds section to see if anyone has done something similar.
    Alex ;)

SeanD likes this.
  4. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks Alex. I will probably post a separate thread for the actual questions and with my full plans. I might go have a read of some of the other builds first specifically for anything similar. I am not breaking new ground so you are most likely right that there will be something there. Really appreciate your help mate.

5. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

It looks like the builds pages on here allow for "In Progress" stuff. Is this a good idea to start a build so I can list out the parts in the plan individually as well or is the builds stuff just more to share something already working/planned out?

6. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

I guess I am asking if starting a build is a good place to get some advice or if just sticking to a forum thread is better

7. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Yes.

Alex Chambers and SeanD like this.
  8. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Either, or both. Start a build when you've got some sketches/ideas people can comment on and start a thread in CNC Mills/routers if you need to ask about something specific. People on here will take an interest whatever.
    Welcome to the forum by the way.
    Alex :)

9. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks Alex and Rick :) Will go get my notes in order, my parts list (ordered and pending) and all that together. Rick you also replied to my first question ever on here the other day about the BlackBox system and even though you said it's not super important to hold out for the new one. I couldn't resist. There is one sitting in stock in Australia here and I pre-ordered the new one instead purely because it's newer haha. Cheers again guys. It's 2:28am and I have work tomorrow and after I get my notes together I can sleep without the motors in my head going crazy thanks to your advice.