Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Where are the Tutorials

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Lloyd Downunder, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Lloyd Downunder

Builder

you have a great BlackBox, ( i now have 2) , i need to be taught how to (Expletive deleted) use them??
    your two software ( Control+Cam) progs need further output to the world.
    i dont want to read gossip, on the forum! been there? got the run around.
    I want fact!! i have asked this question twice before.

Lloyd

#1 Lloyd Downunder, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2019
  2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

First off, Its easy enough to figure out, no documentation needed :) - thousands of existing users found their way without issue :)
    Now please, don't take that the wrong way, what I mean by that is that "hand on" exploration is about 1000x more powerful of a teacher than watching a video (ironically my next paragraph mentions videos hehe) Digging in and playing with the software will be the quickest and best way to learn it. True for most new skills in life after all. As you stumble upon phrases or things that you haven't seen before, a little googling can usually help too (like the first time you are confronted with whether to pick Climb or Convetional milling... thats a couple hours of reading right there).
    Learning the software is one thing... but you have to learn the whole hobby! And thats where self exploration is going to be way better!

Also, checkout our Tutorial Videos on our Youtube Channel

1) The Machines has a Wiring+Software video that runs you through the setup for the software of the machine, for example:

2) Hello World (CAM and CONTROL generic)

Lastly, keep in mind we offer free software to beginners to get them started but we also do not force people to use it! :) The wonderful thing about an open system is, if you don't like it, there's hundreds of other options. Some may be easier, or have better documentation, or come with more features. Play around and see what works for YOU :)
    CONTROL alternativers: CNCJS, GrblPanel, Candle for Grbl, Universal Gcode Sender, etc and many more (Google for "Grbl software")
    CAM alternatives: Vectric, Fusion 360, CAMBAM, Makercam, Carbide Create, FlatCAM, and many more (Google for "CAM software for use with Grbl")

#3 Peter Van Der Walt, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  4. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

Nice job guys, this should get @Lloyd Downunder pointed in the right direction to get his Build underway.

MFCarew likes this.
  5. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

Lloyd you should also watch people like John Saunders of NYC CNC who has a 'fusion fridays' series that will help you to learn how to think about doing CNC jobs.
    NYC CNC

You can also watch Peter Stanton... note he uses some very expensive software and I am not advocating your buying that, only that you watch how he goes about planning a job, how to hold it, how to cut it, what tool to use, and so on.

You can even watch MY videos on using Sketchup and SketchUcam where I try to teach that thinking process.
    SketchUcam Howto - YouTube

knowledge is power! (-: