Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

What's the deal with fibre optic laser?

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by O G, Aug 20, 2020.

1. O G

O G New
    Builder

I've been looking into upgrading the cheap 6W laser for my acro. I've been trying to find information about fibre laser but it's really sparse. I either see only pre-made machine with like a 10"^2 bed or industrial car sized bed worth several millions. Is there a fibre laser head I could mount on my acro? Does anyone know where I could find that? Did I severely misunderstand what they are?

2. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

\i think you need to do more research into types of fiber laser- there are several- and how they work. At an extreme basic commercial level, you have the fiber itself, with the power box, collectively called a "source". For etching, 20-50W, maybe $2-3k. For cutting, 100W-1kW, more like $5-10k. Go ahead and check AliExpress, you can buy parts factory-direct.

Then you have everything else- controller, focus/galvo head (another couple grand), chiller, etc.

There's not really "a head" you can just stick on the Acro. It's like a tube laser- there's a system involved. Clue's kind of in the name, really.

O G likes this.