Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

What was your first build? [CONTEST] **CLOSED**

Discussion in '* CONTESTS * Win Cool Stuff!' started by MaryD, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex Doran

Builder

My FIRST custom build using OB parts is my Cronos Printer, it IS all together and working I just need to tidy the wiring up and get it printing! It's spec'd as follows:

- OBP Frame, wheels, brackets etc.
    - 300 x 350 x 300mm Build Volume.
    - Ballscrew Driven on all Axis - 4m Lead on Z, 16mm Lead on X & Y.
    - RAMPS Controller with DRV8825's 1/32 Stepping.
    - Bulldog Extruder with Hexagon Hotend using a 0.4mm Hardened Nozzle.
    - Auto Bed Level - BLTouch Probe.
    - Bespoke Jank3D 420 x 420mm Dual Zone Heat Bed.
    - Bespoke MOSFET Controller Module to allow control of each Heat Bed Zone from the RAMPS.

Should be finished and getting it dialled in during the next 2 weeks.

Thanks

Alex

Attached Files:

Kyo and MaryD like this.
  2. alan richard

Builder

[​IMG]
    Another Core-XY printer!
    320 x 210 x 260 volume.
    Using 40 x 20 vslot and 20 x 20 standard extrusion
    [​IMG]
    Second build in progress is a mendel style using 40 x 20 for X & Y. Coming soon.

Kyo and MaryD like this.
  3. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Very cool builds, If you have not already share / start a build log on it.

MaryD likes this.
  4. Rigga11

Rigga11 New
    Builder

My work in progress.

IMG_1554[1].JPG IMG_1553[1].JPG

Kyo, MaryD and Carl Feniak like this.
  5. Gery

Gery New
    Builder

My first build is a plotter machine, I'm planning to put a laser on it in order to engrave with it. I used Arduino with Grbl.
    20151128_083831.jpg

MaryD likes this.
  6. Krishnakumar

Builder

My first CNC was "THE OX"
    Have dremel tool attached with the 3d printed holder...
    Made a vacuum hold down bed with pink insulation foam covered with perforated dollar tree foam..
    I love this machine!!

Attached Files:

MaryD likes this.
  7. John Mueller

Builder

Better picture with the steppers in place and wiring done minus the limit switches. Listed under the builds section as to OxMill.

. WP_20160529_20_24_23_Pro.jpg

MaryD, Kyo and Rick 2.0 like this.
  8. fotis kontogiorgos

Builder

9. Itamar Bonneau

Builder

Hey,
    Great projects that everyone here have built enjoyed seeing all of them.

My first build is still coming along, I have built the mechanical part but still having some trouble with the electronic side of things.

It's a Delta printer that I've designed using the Open Builds profiles and parts. the top and bottom as well as all brackets are cnc'd from aluminium flat stock.
    It's measures 95cm in total height and 46cm of triangle side. It has a E3DV6 hotend and magnetic ball bearing carriages and bracket.
    Being my first ever 3d printer build, looking back I think I might have bit more that I could chew in a reasonable time frame :)
    but I'm sure I'll get it done!
    It was all designed in solidworks and when I have it done I'll publish it here of course.
    Attached are screen captures from the 3d model. mykossel07-01.JPG mykossel07-04.JPG mykossel07-03.JPG mykossel07-02.JPG

Cecil Clements and MaryD like this.
  10. Erick Sauvé

Builder

My first build... OX CNC. A classical build :)

11. Erick Sauvé

Builder

An other classical... I had forgot the picture! :) SAM_1264.JPG

MaryD likes this.
  12. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hey guys,
    Today's the last day for the contest so I wanted to be sure to jump in and talk a little about my first build...well, the ones that I can remember and that stand out most to me.

A little background on my childhood - First of all, I think it should be said as I think it played a large part in shaping my love for the Build is that our family grew up without a TV in the house. Most of our time and imagination as kids was used for activity outdoors and for me building things and taking things apart to see how they worked.
    As far back as I can recall I loved to build. I believe it started with cool fort designs whether they were tree forts or tunnel style forts. In the summers I would spend the week designing and laying them out then on the weekends my friends and I would build them. We always pushed the limits of the designs at time even incorporating zip-lines (made from extension cords) for a quick secret escape from a hatch on the top of our tree forts we would slide down the line over the smaller tree canopy's to end up stopping by hitting an old mattress we tied to the end tree. This would give us a great head start far way from the fort which when we needed it (from rival neighborhood kids attacking our forts) which was a nice fort feature to have.
    On the tunnel style forts we would dig shallow crawl-ways (trenches) in the ground and cover them with plywood.

underground-cave-illustration-drawing-590np042711.jpg
    This plywood would then be covered with a light coating of dirt and we would strategically plant shrubs/grass and bushes even bits of trash around to make it blend in the the rest of the surrounding ground cover.
    Some of these tunnels were very elaborate with meeting rooms and individual rooms for the group. These forts also had escape hatches that were well hidden and tunneled far from the fort itself.

I remember well my 6th grade math teacher bringing in and showing us the Radio Shack TRS-80 computer and then going above and beyond to teach us how to write simple basic programs. We were teamed up and assigned to make a game some time after. Our group made a simple exploration game of multiple choices.
    Our game was based in the jungle and the idea was to explore ancient jungle ruins. The outcome of the game depends on the choices made.
    'You are standing in front of a large stone door, it looks like there is some kind of symbol covered with jungle growth.'
    A) Go East
    B) Go West
    C) Try to read the symbol
    D) Try to push on the door
    Your Choice: _
    This simple act of kindness from my teacher made a huge impact on my life as from this point on I was hooked on computers, programming and a little later on (once I realized it was possible) robotics!

I played Trumpet in the Jr High School marching band. A used car dealer that my Dad knew had a 'large computer' at his lot that he told my Dad about and my Dad told me. I immediately asked my Dad for a ride to check it out. We found it was an IBM system 32 mini mainframe

IBM system 32.jpg
    To say the least, it was in love at first sight! :D
    I excitedly asked my Dad if he would let me trade my trumpet for this computer. He agreed and that was the start of learning computers closer to the core of how computers work on a whole new level. This thing was the size of a small fridge and we needed a place so I could work on it. So my Dad made a deal with me that if I would help him build a shed in the back yard we were needing for yard tools, he would put a wall down the center and allow me to have half of it for my 'lab' (as I called it) :)

That lab was another stepping stone to learning so much more about the world of computers and robotics. It was in there that the Builds really began. From homemade hand held rocket launchers to low orbit satellite concepts and video phones we did it all in there. It was a true secret lab and I loved it!
    Soon after for Christmas I received a Commodore vic 20 (and later the 64) computer.

Commodore_VIC-20_Box.jpg

I would sit and program all day and without a tape drive I had no way of saving the programs. So I would watch them run for a little while then it was in for dinner. I would have to turn the computer off losing all the days work. The attraction of seeing what could be done with these machines pushed me everyday to do the same thing.
    I received the Compute!'s Gazette magazine for a birthday and I was in heaven. Having so much fun learning more about the computers and typing in and watching what the programs in the back of the magazine could do.

Compute!'s_Gazette_Premier_Issue.png ComputesGazetteProgramPage.jpg

One of the big moments in building for me was using a Fischertechnik Interface on my Commodore, this little gem allowed my computer to control objects in the real world and that opened my eyes to another level of amazing ideas.

On Christmas I received the Armatron toy robot arm.

armatron.jpg
    I maybe played with it once before tearing it down to see how it worked and how it could be interfaced with my computer so that I could write programs to make the arm do task.
    It was an awesome eye opening experience that again changed the way I thought about computers and what could be done with them.

Tons more projects followed and my computer was upgraded to the Commodore 64, still no tape or disc drive to save my work, but after a few more Christmas's of asking I did finally received a disc drive! I was so happy about that but the effect it had, to be honest, was to make me a little more lazy about programming. I could save it and come back to it any time where before I would push all day so just that I could see the program running before having to turn the computer off when called for dinner.
    I guess for a lack of a better one I am going to call the Armatron interface my first Build :)

Capture.JPG

Good times for sure!

Thank you to everyone who took the time to enter the 'My First Build Contest' making it a great success! You guys are awesome and I love being a part of this community. Looking forward to see who wins.

p.s. Remember guys please
    Submit your Builds. Every build here would be great to have. This helps grow the community so that we can all ask questions and learn together. Just having them there so that Builders can see pictures of them and ask questions would be a great help. Thank you in advance.

Stay tuned as there are many more contest and fun ideas planned.
    Mark

13. giantkiller

Builder

My high school in Abington, Pa North campus in 1971 had a tone generator in the P.A. system for a class change bell. I built the tone generator, red perf box kit and quickly realized that one of the tones was an exact match.
    I wrecked havoc at age 15. It has been a secret to this day. If you're going to do something, you might as well make it worth it.

MaryD likes this.
  14. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

lol I remember those tone generators well :) Sounds like you had a fun school year! :thumbsup:

15. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

Hey guys, the contest has ended. We'll be announcing the winner this week (in a unique way) - Stay Tuned!

16. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

Trophy Spin.gif
    AND THE WINNER IS....

From the funny to the nostalgic, all of the posts were super fun to read. It was neat to see how everyone started out and what motivated them to keep building. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your story and photos with the community. For any newcomers, there could be some inspiration here to help you complete YOUR First Build - you can do it! Of course you are all winners in the OpenBuilds world however, there can only be 1 winner of the GRAND PRIZE. @Mark Carew kindly pulled the winning name and the OpenBuilds Contest Winner Trophy goes to....... @Keith Davis !

[​IMG]

Keith wrote a cool piece about his journey to create the BldrBot. If you haven't already, be sure to CHECK IT OUT!

You'll find @Keith Davis sporting the CONTEST WINNER badge around the forum for the next week or so. Be sure to say Hello! In addition to the badge, Keith will receive
    $99 FREE SHIPPING @
    [​IMG]

Again, many thanks to everyone who entered and a special thanks to OpenBuilds Part Store for helping us out and sponsoring the contest.

KEEP DREAMING, BUILDING, and SHARING!

#46 MaryD, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    Moag, Carl Feniak, Kyo and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.