Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

? What spindle to use with the Ooznest Workbee?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Colin Hart, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Colin Hart

Colin Hart Well-Known
    Builder

Good Evening All.

Today I have spent the afternoon building the new workbench for the Workbee CNC 1000 X 750 leed screw from Ooznest. One must say I am a tad EXCITED!!!! New toy for the man cave!!!

I have a router coming with the CNC however I have been looking at water cooled spindle options as I will spend quite a bit of time in the garage whilst the CNC is running, and I'd rather not have to wear ear defenders the whole time...

The router I have looked at is one of ebay, a 1.5kW version (link below)

1.5KW 220V Water cooled Spindle Motor ER16 CNC Router&1.5KW Inverter&Clamp【UK】 | eBay

I guess my questions are as follows:
    - Is this compatible with the WorkBee form Ooznest?
    - Is this powerful enough to cut Hardwood for Guitars?
    - Is this able to cust Aluminium

I'm new to the CNC world and whilst I have made a number of guitars by hand, I and hoping to use a hybrid workflow allowing me to do the fun bit by hand, and the more precision/bits with the CNC.

Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings, and any feedback sharing your experience would be greatly received.

Cheers All

Regards

Colin.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

At 4.6 Kg (plus water) that might be a bit heavy for the workbee, even with the X axis of 750.
    Alex.

3. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Look for a 65mm spindle, can be longer and Er11 but ~half the weight.

upload_2019-2-9_14-21-54.png

4. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder

Please do a Search for "Chinese Spindle", in the top right-hand Search panel, to get yourself up to speed on all Spindle matters. :thumbsup:

sharmstr likes this.
  5. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Hi Colin
    Its Colin here :)
    Uncanny that I have also just purchased the 1000x750 screw driven Workbee model from Ooznest
    Like you I'm also a novice in certain ways to desktop CNC.
    I have the Makita spindle already so didn't need one from order
    I too am in the fros of building a new bench for the new toy as you call it,
    You will find many well educated folks here very helpful and will keep you on the straight and narrow with all things CNC
    I haven't got the machine up and running yet but I gather noise is going to be a bug bear so I'll be following your thread with interest.
    Throw up a few pics of your bench
    Regards
    C

#5 Colin Mccourt, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  6. structured light

Builder

I just today fitted a 2.2k to my new workbee. Haven't started it up yet but I couldn't see any obvious flex. Will let you know how I get on tomorrow when it gets started up and calibrated.

This machine is an absolute beast

Attached Files:

Colin Mccourt likes this.
  7. Colin Hart

Colin Hart Well-Known
    Builder

Good Morning All.

Wow, quite a number of responses and some further learning identified.

So Collett sizes @Gary Caruso - Thank you for the table, I hadn't realised/seen this table on the listings I was looking at. It is interesting that the 65mm diameter spindle is so much lighter, however, it appears to be so much harder to find. The 80mm diameter is the more popular version on the eBay stores.

@Alex Chambers - Well noted.

A quick google of ER11 and what size shank it will hold reveals 1/4" shank, and I think I 1/8" depending on Collet sizes?

I have been trying the find some comparison on Water Cooled vs Air Cooled, I can only seem to find reviews from 2015, I think the comments made are likely to to be a bit dated. Does anyone have any first-hand experience of AC vs WC?

@structured light - Nice picture - Very interested in how your test goes, can you share which spindle you purchased? 2.2Kw, that's a lot of power. At a weight of around 5KG that would answer any weight questions.

@Colin Mccourt - A Bench off I hear :) - This project gave me a reason to have a big clear up in the Man Cave. I have managed to re-commission my wood Leith which has been tucked out the way for too long. I'll share some pics once have things progressing, let me know how you get on as well.

Right, it's Sunday Morning in sunny Cambridgeshire - Time to put on the breakfast. Thanks again for your replies.

Regards

Colin.

Colin Mccourt likes this.
  8. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Hahaha Hardly a "bench off" C...I just want a level surface so nothing fancy just a table type affair 4 legs and a shelf below, although a drawer and a laptop shelf would be nice not to mention a radial arm for some wire and dustpipe management lol...Good Luck with the build looking forward to see how you progress with the guitars...
    Regards
    C

9. Colin Hart

Colin Hart Well-Known
    Builder

So a Bench Update: In need of some doors still but some pics attached.

Attached Files:

10. Colin Mccourt

Colin Mccourt Journeyman
    Builder

Looks cosy in there C lol
    I cleared the garage total de-clutter-isation...I'd no room for a new bench so I had to commandeer an old one and rig up a new surface board and sq. up. could do with some leveling threaded feet though.
    Are you going to have yours encased for noise/dust etc.
    Regards
    C

11. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer

ER11 has good range for an openbuilds machine, google er11 collet set typical is 1-7mm

Air cooled even heavier and bigger, I'm sure you can get an 80mm dia to work, but remember your C beam Z beam is 80 mm wide.. so where will the mount bolt to? Will have to make or buy a different mount or adapter plate.
    With 65mm you can use the Makita router with the same mount hardware.
    Can't find 65mm motors? ebay search "WATER-COOLED 65MM 1.5KW ER11" I see loads of them.
    Cheers
    Gary

#11 Gary Caruso, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  12. Colin Hart

Colin Hart Well-Known
    Builder

13. rikkkk

rikkkk New
    Builder

I have an AMB 1050 fme-p. Planning to move that to my workbee. Super precision and ER16. ER11 would make my cnc life very annoying and time consuming at times.

14. Tajudeen

Tajudeen New
    Builder

Hi rikkkk, How is the Er 16 working with your router?

15. rikkkk

rikkkk New
    Builder

Worked super well. How ever, I replaced it with an ER20 spindle (teknomotor). I'm having some custom cutters made and the stock the manufacturer are using is 13mm. Reducing it to fit ER11 would be too expensive in the long run.

16. Tajudeen

Tajudeen New
    Builder

@rikkkk Please I like to know if the ER 20 spindle clamp ( as seen in @Colin Hart aliexpress.com attachment) work with Workbee or will I have to adjust?