Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

WASTE/SPOIL BOARD IDEA

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by bo Toepfer, Aug 5, 2021.

1. bo Toepfer

Builder

Greetings , I have only built one router LEAS 1010,. When I cut and places the spoil board I used up all most all the real estate between the rails in both X and Y plains. I am now facing resurfacing and the pain to flip it over and unfasted the screws, I would like to hear how others have fastened it in place from the top? Living and learning Thanks

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Many people add a smaller sacrifial spoilboard on top of the bed (spoilboard) - that matches their machines actual working area and then surface that. - when replacing a worn spoilboard they only replace the small section on top. Can be, for example, a 1/4" piece of MDF

Alternatively, a couple extra V-Slot rails with Tee Nuts underneath - and then screwing the spoilboards down from the top, into the Tee nuts is an option

bo Toepfer likes this.
  3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Tip I picked up here from @sharmstr - drill and counterbore your spoilboard in line with the supports so that the screws to hold it down will almost reach the bottom of the V-slot. Use drop-in T-nuts, align them in the direction of the slots and tighten them hand tight. Put the spoilboard in place, undo each screw so that the T-nuts drop into the slot, tighten.
    Alex.