Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

*WARNING* Incorrectly wired Blackbox fried my laptop (Need Help)

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by archalien, Jul 13, 2019.

1. archalien

archalien New
    Builder

I was manually jogging and (Sphinx55) Z crashed into the Zmax/Limit Switch and continued to go, my laptop issued a warning "Surge detected on USB" but before I could do anything, my laptop(on 50% battery power) went hard off, power button doesnt respond, charging light wont light up when plugged into power DEAD.

Aside from now owning a fubar laptop, how is the USB not protected from this type of issue???
    Thismake NO sense, is this an oversight in design, have I made some other egregious error.

I tried looking or usb extensions with inline surge/fuse because I dont want to burn up another 3k laptop, but only found 1 product for datacenters that may? work.

Is this an appropriate topic, a defective board? Should I be contacting OB support directly on this?

Thanks
    Bryan

2. archalien

archalien New
    Builder

I found the/a culprit for usb power surge, improperly wired endstops.

Even after unplugging, resetting/clearing from the Win 10 dialog box,I had to uninstall the usb drivers from device manager and then let them reinstall, before the error would clear from the OS (it persisted reboots otherwise). Not sure how a miswired endstop is not electrically isolated from the usb? It didnt kill my other laptop, so Im still wondering if the Z crash was the culprit.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Project Maker Builder

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. But alas, thats why it's important to check all wiring.

When the controller is powered from 24v the USB power is isolated, was yours powered on at the time?

The Limit signal pins also has protection (reverse diode prevents any current flowing back)

So we did our best protection wise and no other reports of this nature. Plenty of Incorrectly wired endstops on here and support - usually prevents board from booting Grbl as the Atmega doesnt get power when its shorting.

But would like to find out what was wired wrong, see if another vector can be fortified... What exactly did you wire wrong? Mustve been something totally odd and unexpected?

If you just had the limit wired wrong, worst case would short 5v to gnd which wouldnt ruin a USB port as they have overcurrent protection. (also needs a few other things in place anyway like 24v off, jumper on 5v, wrong switch wiring (use our plug in Xtension Limit PCBs Xtension Limit Switch Kit - safer, no need to self wire, one less thing to go wrong) all at once

So i am not 100% sure it was that... Check all wiring especially any 24v wires

In terms of protection: self powered USB Hub ought to do...

Matthew Bates likes this.