Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

want to use 1/2 bits

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by hixnhix, Aug 30, 2020.

1. hixnhix

hixnhix New
    Builder

Will a Lead 1010 machine handle a Porter-Cable 690LR - 1-3/4 HP Router

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Can't specifically say yes or no but can say your chances of success increase greatly with the High Z Mod for Lead CNC. Without it the weight of the router will cause too much roll in the X-axis. You'll want to set the lower rail down as far as possible and you'll want to have the drive motor powering that rail. The other issue is what you are expecting in return from the 1/2" bits and the more powerful router. These are hobby grade systems built with lightweight aluminum extrusion. If you are wanting 1/2" bits just to increase your options fine but just don't expect you'll be able to plow through anything and everything. These systems just aren't stiff enough.

3. hixnhix

hixnhix New
    Builder

Thanks I have three routers and was thinking of using them

4. dprice

dprice New
    Builder

Generally speaking, a larger cutting bit requires a higher feed rate than a smaller bit (chips got to fly to keep the bit cool) and the recommended feed rate for a big bit may exceed your machine speed limits even if it doesn't overload the router. I use a machine similar to the Lead 1010 and a 1/4" 2-flute bit can cut about as fast as my machine can move so you may not gain much over using the 1/4" collet and 1/4" bits.

For the record, I love my P-C 690 but it stays in the router table. 800W water-cooled spindle for CNC.

Rick 2.0 likes this.
  5. hixnhix

hixnhix New
    Builder

Thanks was just thinking. How fast do you cut with 1/4" straight bit?

6. dprice

dprice New
    Builder

The machine limits are set at 2000 mm/min and I'll use a 2-flute spiral bit at about 12,000 rpm with a 6-7 mm depth of cut in 1/2" or 3/4" plywood. The calculator says I could go 9 mm DOC but I haven't tried to push the limits to see where the problems start.

7. Archtop67

Archtop67 New
    Builder

hmmm ive been curious about this too.... ive been setting fusion360 gcode to like 333feed for oak poplar ash maple in general and I think router has been set too slow even though it works great on my 36x36 "custom Spinx but Im still learning lol ...and it is dead slow and only 1-2mm depth... i need to get more agressive I guess! lol

8. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Find some scrap and give it a test. I am conservative and do 1/2 the endmill diameter for depth of cut and only go 2500 mm/min (100 IPM) for cutting. For carving, since it is removing less material per pass I run between 3000 and 3500mm/min. Where I pick up speed is with dialed in acceleration settings. I found the max acceleration before stalling and set it back about 20% for a safe margin. If your acceleration is low, you may never hit your top speed during small cuts.