Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

VSlot NEMA17 - Higher Pitch Leadscrew?

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Dani Rose, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Dani Rose

Dani Rose New
    Builder

Hey everyone! Loving the group - a really excellent resource! I am using the 1000mm 20x60 VSlot actuator system as a camera actuator, mounted to a vehicle for a movie. I'm just curious if anyone knows of a leadscrew that would have a higher pitch to allow the gantry to move faster? We are using the Acme Tr8*8-2p (4 start) trapezoidal lead screw on the NEMA17 setup (but also have the 23 setup in case). The weight to be shifted is an approx. 5kg camera package. It won't really be super slow moves but more dynamic as it's mounted inside, outside or a car and a motorbike. We can get the stepper to go 'fairly' quick, but would like to have more in reserve. If we can find the leadscrew, I can create the necessary nut block for the given pitch of the leadscrew without any problems.

Thank you!

Dani

Attached Files:

2. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso OpenBuilds Volunteer
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Hi Dani,
    If you really want higher speed have you thought about a belt drive system? Nema17 is tiny and you will run out of torque quickly, you would want C-beam and Nema23 for 5kg camera.
    Higher voltage will get you higher speed for any given system.
    If audible noise is an issue you would want to go with a servo drive like those from clearpath those are capable of much higher speed as well.
    What max speed would you like? There are 5 start 10mm Lead screws in 8mm diameter that's about the max.
    What are you using to drive the motor; driver, software and PSU voltage? I'm guessing 12v battery? you want 24v at least!
    Cheers
    Gary

Dani Rose likes this.
  3. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

McMaster-Carr also has 3/8"-8 four start and 1/2"- 10 five-start screws available both move have 1/2" (12.7mm) of movement per revolution. I have used both of these and they are good quality screws. For a variety, check this link and choose
    Fast-Travel Precision Acme Lead Screws and Nuts from the options. There is a 1 inch per revolution 1/2"-8 screw, but like Gary said, you may want a Nema 23 for these.

Dani Rose likes this.
  4. Dani Rose

Dani Rose New
    Builder

Hey Gary,

Many thanks for the reply!

I had looked at the belt drive systems but all the data shows that the amount of weight that the belt system can move is much lower than the leadscrew variant. And as weight is a premium for this particular project, the compromise would be in the speed of the system.

I have a NEMA23 Stepper on standby if it seems that the 17 is nowhere near enough for what we need.

Power supply will be a dedicated 24v minimum but it is possible to provide 48v+ if required.

The steppers are the following:

1705HS200A NEMA17
    2315HS300AW NEMA23

I'm using the Pololu Tic 36v4 to control the stepper across an RC system.

I looked at servos but wanted to see what I could get out of this system first due to costs etc.

Many thanks

5. Dani Rose

Dani Rose New
    Builder

Many thanks for those links! I will check them out. Hopefully I can source something closer to home :)