Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Voxel OX 3D Printer

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Marshall Peck, Sep 27, 2015.

1. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

@NGray, you didn't say what your setup is. If you use, or can use, a RAMPS 1.4 board it has the option for two Extruders and two Z axis. Plus, the drivers that go on that board are not expensive even if you use the silent type.

2. NGray

NGray New
    Builder

I haven't picked out a specific controller yet, since I wasn't sure if I needed to go for something fancy (6+ drivers) or if I could get away with a basic one (5 drivers).

Looking at RAMPS 1.4, I only count 5 spots for stepper controllers? Which wouldn't be enough for two Z and two extruders. Though I was thinking it over since I last posted, and realized that I could probably wire the two Z motors in parallel, since they should always be synced anyways... Is that a bad idea? If there's not enough current, I could just add another controller in parallel, too, no?

3. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

If you look closely you'll see that the Z axis has two connection for two steppers connecting into one driver, which is why I wrote 'two Extruders and two Z axis'. It's been used by thousands of users, including me, and it works a treat.

NGray likes this.
  4. Make_In_France

Builder

Hi everyone,

I really like the simplicity of this build and the design, but I think the x axis transmission a bit complicated as I consider each build in this thread.

Openbuilds showed on his You Tube channel the belt and pinion build with a 80x20 and the universal gantry plate as used in the original Voxel build for the x axis.

Considering you'll have to use the Derlin V wheels to allow to ride on the belt, this idea should work fine, souldn't it ? And simplify the x axis mount. (You keep an universal plate on each side of the profile as in the original Voxel, of course).
    But if you are an unconditional user of the direct extrusion as I am, this with add an extra motor on the plate.
    The Openbuids store precise a compression strength of 63MPA for this Derlin V wheel.
    Will it have enough strenght with an E3D Hemera mount (388 g) ?
    There could also be more vibrations in the plate.

As I live in Europe, Openbuids Italia sells metal Delin V wheels. But I fear this could machining the profile with the weight of 2 nema 17 motors if you srew the excentric wheels too tightly and badly damage the profile.
    OpenBuilds Dual V Wheel Kit – Metal – OpenBuildsItalia

Does anyone have tried this ? I need some good advices.
    Thank you for your answers.

#184 Make_In_France, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021