Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Vico-cnc Workbee

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Simon.Jackson, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Simon.Jackson

Builder

Hello everyone, Im a newbie so please be gentle. Im currently looking at a Vico-cnc workbee 1500x1500 with a 2200 water cooled spindle. this machine seems cheaper than lets the Ooznest. Can anyone give advise?
    thanks in advance
    Simon

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Honestly would say don't bother with the knockoff systems. Ooznest created the WorkBee and they have untold hundreds of systems out in the wild working as they should. Ooznest also offers great service after the sale, something you may or may not receive from an Etsy seller who is selling untested kits of parts from the cheapest sources he could find. Ask anyone who has dealt with mystery vendors and most will tell you it's not worth the headache. (There are plenty of examples of this here on the forum.) Many have spent far more setting their systems right than they would have spent buying a proper system to begin with.

As for the 2200 water cooled spindle, it is way too heavy for such a large system. An 800 watt spindle is about all that system will support.

The real issue here is you haven't told us what you intend to use this system for. If you could tell us what you intend to use if for we could be far more help in leading you in the right direction.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. Simon.Jackson

Builder

Thanks Rick, Im intending to build camper furniture max 18mm laminated ply. any help would be appreciated

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

For personal use this system should be fine with a Makita or Dewalt trim router. If you're looking to make a business of it you'll probably want to build something more substantial (unless it's for very small volumes).

5. Simon.Jackson

Builder

Thanks Rick,
    It is for business but a stepping stone I hope. why would you choose the desalt or the Makita over the water cooled spindle?

6. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

The Makita has a lower bottom speed than the Dewalt and the Makita has a better reputation regarding brush life, but there is otherwise not much to choose between them.
    Alex.

7. Simon.Jackson

Builder

thanks Alex, I was actually looking at a water cooled spindle 2200 watts, what's your thoughts on this?

8. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I agree with @Rick 2.0 - it's going to be too heavy for the frame of a machine that size (too heavy for a 1000 x 1000 in my opinion) and the framework of the machine is not rigid enough to allow you to use all the power available from a 2.2Kw anyway. ER collets and lower speeds possible with a water cooled spindle could be an advantage, but we do deal with a lot of people here who have problems with large, heavy spindles - not least the interference from the VFD most have. If you are still considering the workbee (I have one and am very happy with it) bear in mind it was designed for a router/spindle of about 800 Watts with a recommended (by the designers) weight of about 3Kg.
    Alex.

9. Simon.Jackson

Builder

its 1500x1500 Alex. still to heavy?

10. Simon.Jackson

Builder

this is what I'm looking at and I'm stuck to which motion control also. any help would be greatly appreciated Screenshot 2020-06-13 at 15.24.31.png

11. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

I'm not familiar with any of the controllers they mention. Also they are not significantly cheaper than Ooznest and I would be rather put off by the fact that they don't seem to credit Ooznest with the design - suggests a less than completely honest approach to business.
    Alex.

12. Simon.Jackson

Builder

oh it is a mine field, Problem is Ooznest have a lead time of August which is no good. I need the machine now.

13. MWS

MWS New
    Builder

Hi Simon
    Like you struggling with the lead time from Ooznest (currently end of November), what did you decide to do in the end? Did you go with the Vico?
    Les.