Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

VFD Recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Batcrave, Mar 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Batcrave

Batcrave Journeyman
    Builder

After a series of frustrations, the 110V Huanyang VFD (HY01D511B) driving my 1.5kW spindle finally let the smoke out (under at least partially unrelated circumstances), leaving me in need of a replacement. Given the recurring RF noise headaches it gave me, I'm inclined to try something a little less Chinese this time around, but I'm not entirely sure where to start & was hoping (as the really astute among you may have deduced from the title) that some of you might have some recommendations.

I'm open to any feedback - either general (favorite brands or vendors, characteristics to look for or avoid, sensorless vector vs vectorless sensor, barely related anectodes about that time the weasel chased your friend's pet iguana into the breaker box - that sorta stuff) or specific models. Aside from being able to run the spindle without either of the pair melting down, the primary criteria would probably be low RF noise (or at least lower - not looking for hospital-rated gear here), as noise had been at the heart of a number of all too many problems with the old one.

I'd inherited a cute little Leeson Speedmaster for my lathe that was fantastic, but apparently fantastic is expensive, since their offerings in this size range seem to start around $500 which, while not impossible, is stretching the budget more painfully than a politician stretches the truth (and I'm hoping to have enough change left over for shielding the whole mess better than last time).

So, yeah. Basically I'm out of my depth, impatient, and hoping the community can give me a shortcut to get everything back online without spending the next week re-learning everything I should've already known. Because I'm lazy like that.

-Bats
    (check it out - not just lazy, lazy and stupid!)

Attached Files: