Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Vertical slider with lock

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by duckie, Mar 28, 2019.

1. duckie

duckie New
    Builder

I am planning to make some various camera-jigs using V-slots (including one using a 3 meter pole with a cheap 3-axis gimbal ...) For this jig the challenge i have right now is deciding on how i should lock a slider in a given position. This solution could work, but i was hoping on something better / fancier: V-Slot Miter Saw Stop

I was planning on using a timing belt all the way around a 2 meter profile, then a camera on one side and a equivalent counterweight on the other for balance. I could lock the slider, lock the timing belt or lock the pulley. The complicated way would be to use a motor and use it as brake ..

Any suggestions?

Mark Carew likes this.
  2. duckie

duckie New
    Builder

Here is an illustration of what i mean. This will of course be mounted on some legs or similar.
    illustration.png

Video of a similar system

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I would probably go with the screw knobs as shown in the video as far as braking goes. Another thought would be a simple spring loaded brake like found some strollers where you squeeze it to move and it automatically locks position when released.

The detents in the steppers would make for a rough ride.

Mark Carew likes this.
  4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team

I would lock the slider, the other options will allow the camera to move/vibrate a little.
    Just a screw with a knob is all you need. but do put a plastic cap on the end of the screw so it does not mark the rail.
    Maybe an additional screw with a felt pad on the end to make and adjustable clutch would be useful, just to give some resistance so the rig does not run away from you.

hehe, to my mind the toggle clamp IS the fancy way (-:

5. duckie

duckie New
    Builder

The spring loaded brake sounds like a good solution, it would not have to hold much weight.

David, maybe i can find a good small toogle clamp, perhaps it is the red handle that turns me off :)

6. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

Looks like a fun project and should be pretty easy to build up. For the stop maybe just a simple screw knob into the slot, I was thinking of this for the saw stop as well as I think it would make for more sure of a stop. The rubber foot as it is now allows for wiggle.

7. duckie

duckie New
    Builder

I made most of it today, now i just need to mount the camera. I used a 2040 profile and two smooth timing pulleys in both ends. Might add some extra arms for lighting etc. I will put of a photo later.

Adding a motor might be interesting for videos.

David the swarfer likes this.