Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Vertical clamping setup for Lead 1515

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Tim Percy, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Tim Percy

Tim Percy Well-Known
    Builder

I just ordered a Lead 1515 and I am very new to CNC routers. I have a few projects that would benefit from vertical drilling, so I was wondering if anyone one has done a vertical clamping setup for the LEAD 1515?

I will apologize in advance, because I will have many questions once I get my machine and get rolling.... I will be working mostly in HDPE to start.

Tim

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I'd suggest leaving a little of the Spoilboard open, then incorporate the vertical clamping setup from the table underneath

3. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

It just so happens that I am re-building my workbee and the bench at the moment - pic attached of torsion box bench top with "letter box" opening to allow me to add a vertical clamp arrangement in the future. Note that I have added longer Y end plates that raise the machine by 40 mm and the replacement Y gantry plates I am using to facilitate using linear rails instead of V-wheels add another 40 mm - this allows me to install my rotary axis on one side. IMG_5334.JPG IMG_5335.JPG IMG_5346.JPG

The vertical clamping arrangement will attach to the 20/80 bed support on the left - you'll have to wait at least a few weeks (months) before I get around to designing that though.

WilliamK, Giarc, that-jim and 2 others like this.
  4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Nice Alex! Those rotaries are addictive. I troll thingiverse looking for suitable models