Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Ventilation

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by base1379, Dec 26, 2020.

1. base1379

base1379 New
    Builder

Hello,

I've been trying to decide on a fan + hepa filter in order to design a duct.
    I have a 2.5 watt diode laser that cuts nylon fabric. The smell is unacceptable.

Originally I was thinking of having a fan sucking through some large (no idea what size) filter mounted to the ceiling, and a ~3" hose plumbed down to a duct on the gantry that surrounds the laser as much as possible.

Now I'm thinking of a smaller fan, much smaller hepa filter mounted directly to the gantry. This will eliminate the dynamic plumbing. From top to bottom I envision:
    -fan
    -hepa filter
    -duct/shroud that surrounds laser

Anyone have any suggestions for a sufficient fan and hepa filter?

Thanks!
    Wolfgang

2. base1379

base1379 New
    Builder

I'm thinking of trying a 4.33"x2.75" hepa filter like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083NLSL2...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

In combination with a 85cfm fan like this: Delta 92 mm High Power Cooling Fan - 6 Watt - 12 V - 85 CFM - FFB0912VHE - 3800 | eBay

I've never sized fans and filters before.
    My feeling is that the filter is too small (too much restriction) for this fan? But I have no idea.
    Anyone have any rules of thumb for acceptable fan pressure drop, estimation of filter restriction, fan to filter size ratios?
    Thanks,
    Wolfgang

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Unrestricted, that fan can (theoretically) move

What is the volume of air of the box surrounding the machine (best to box in the smells, then vent it out) - and then consider how long a minute is. Now factor in the restrictions. You may want to look at a mains powered inline fan for a dryer, or basement, from the hardware store