Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

V-wheels and cleanliness

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Terrible01, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Terrible01

Builder

I bought a used Lead 1010 late last year and have just now dove into working with it heavily. Especially because of the corona virus situation and all this free time I have. I tore the machine down and reassembled what was necessary to get it square and trammed. Also upgraded the Z axis during the process.

Since I have not built or bought a dust boot yet, the rails and V-wheels can accumulate debris and become stuck to them.

Is there something to use to help mitigate the problem I am having?

Or do I just need to quit putting off making or buying a dust boot?

Thanks, I hope everyone well.

PS: I hate the screws they include.. The PO did me no favors with the ball tip drivers.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You already know the answer to this....

Terrible01 likes this.
  3. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Also upgraded the Z axis during the process
    What upgrade was that?

Is there something to use to help mitigate the problem I am having?
    Use a vac hose.manually.

I hate the screws they include..
    I agree, button head screws are much better but some flat head's may still be needed for trapped screw situations.

Or do I just need to quit putting off making or buying a dust boot?
    Just do what Rick said...
    They are easy to make on your router.

4. Terrible01

Builder

Sorry for the late response, but here is the mod I just completed. I needed the extra room to engrave the bottom of wood bowls.
    High Z Mod for Lead CNC

Thanks for telling me I just needed to get to work. lol I am pretty happy with the end results of my first dust boot. It is functional to say the least. Two piece design, the top holds everything in place, the bottom is held in place by magnets and quarter inch rounds inserted into the top and bottom. (I can thank Jay Bates for that one as well)
    dust boot2.jpg
    Now to figure out what I want to do with the work bench and create an arm to hold the DC hose. The clamps are working, but it's not exactly the clean look I was hoping for.

One last question, maybe it'll be seen. The spoil board doesn't like to stay down in the corners with the factory fastener spacing. Has anyone else came up with a different way of mounting the spoil board to the rails?

Jay Bates recently posted a video of his new CNC and I think I could make that method work, unless someone else has a different suggestion.

About the 8:28 mark is the point of interest that I am talking about.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.