Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

V-Slot Universal Gantry Plate not fitting 40xx

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Eric Rinkus, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Eric Rinkus

Builder

Hello, I recently picked up a short length of C-Beam, a V-Slot universal gantry plate, and a C-Beam gantry kit, just to experiment with (I'm new to this stuff and working on a workstation build, so I wanted to have some parts in hand to check compatibility with other parts I'm using in the build that aren't part of the V-Slot or C-Beam families).

One of the things I tried was to turn the C-Beam on its side and try to make a gantry using the universal plate that can run along one of the 40mm sides of the C-Beam. However, it doesn't quite fit, and I'm a little stumped as to why. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my parts, or if I'm just missing something on the measurements/compatibility for these parts.

I've attached a couple pictures of what I'm trying to do. I'm pretty sure I'm using the right holes to fit this side of the extrusion. But on the other hand, when I look at one of the pictures on the store page for the universal plate (the one showing a bunch of plates on different sized extrusions), it looks like the model is actually going one hole wider on one side for the 4020 extrusion.

Am I doing something wrong here? Or is this just not going to work? The only other thing I can think of is that I'm using the Xtreme mini V wheels here (since that's what came with the C-Beam Gantry Kit), but maybe I should be using the Delrin wheels? 20220131_000233.jpg

20220131_000306.jpg

Thanks for the help!

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

For that carriage plate you need full sized V-Wheels. The Mini V-Wheels are only for Mini Carriages and C-Beam carriages with wheels on the inside. See our YouTube channel for more information

3. Eric Rinkus

Builder

Ah, gotcha, thanks for the info!

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.