Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Nema 23 Lead/Acme Actuator Example Build

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Mark Carew, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

kram242 published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

Nice examples !! I choose to incorporate the Nema 23 motor with some Openrail mounted on 2080. With 10 wheels riding v-rail nice smooth action and very stiff !! I used the Openrail gantry plate for 2080 and had Chris Laidlaw do a custom router mount backplate to mount to a piece of 2080 bolted to the front of the gantry plate. Added a proximity switch limit at the top to handle homing duties.. Works out great, I might try using a belt reduction between the motor and screw just to see if it works any better adding some more torque.

Mark Carew likes this.
  3. peerless design

Builder

Nice build!! Is there any way you could put a load on the slide and test its position repeatability? I am looking for the most economical way to achieve positioning a 10 pound load with the slide in the vertical position. Be nice to know if it can hold better than .0005" repeatability or will there be to much backlash. I didnt happen to notice and anti-backlash nut in the video. Thanks in advance for your help!

4. peerless design

Builder

How much travel do you end up with on this slide?

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

The example should be around 172mm based on 280mm extrusion length - 88mm for the gantry plate - (2x) 7mm lock collars -(2x) bearings with about 3mm exposed but it can be whatever length you need (up to 872mm) based on the extrusion length selected.

6. peerless design

Builder

Rick thanks for your help!!

7. bdubu

bdubu New
    Builder

Great build Mark! Is there any way I could get the model in something other than Sketchup format? I'm wanting to start on a model of my future CNC build but the only Windows system I have access to is running Windows XP and the Sketchup viewer won't install onto XP. Thanks!

8. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

@bdubu, you can download the Sketchup Make 2014 version here which will work on XP.

Mark Carew likes this.
  9. bdubu

bdubu New
    Builder

@rick, thanks, I'll give that a try.

10. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team

This build has been updated with a new video/model showcasing the Nema 23 linear actuator as well as an X/Y actuator table Build to reflect the new 250mm V-Slot™ available size.
    Of course be cause of V-Slots modular nature, these system can be built larger as well (using longer V-Slot and Lead Screw) as independent from one another and please keep in mind that this is only an example to help inspire.
    This should be available as a bundle on the OpenBuilds Part Store soon.
    Hope this helps.
    Thank you
    Mark

11. Jess

Jess New
    Builder

Hi,

Any videos of the table actually working? I'm working on a piece where this could be useful and I'd like to show my boss how it moves.

Thanks!

12. Joachim Falck Brodin

Builder

How far does the platform travel per revolution of the lead screw (as exactly as possible)?

13. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

The leadscrews are 8mm pitch. One rotation =8mm. Of course there can be deviation (rolled screws, not ground) so depending on application, you can calibrate off real world measurements

14. Joachim Falck Brodin

Builder

Thanks! I am measuring about 8.2 mm on one of 5 actuators for my build, I guess I'll have to measure them all!

15. Peter Van Der Walt

0.2mm per rotation does sound a little high, I would say 7.95mm -> 8.05mm from experience
    Regular or Anti Backlash nuts? Anti-Backlash Nut Block for 8mm Metric Acme Lead Screw

16. Matthew Bolan

Builder

I just wanted to confirm that the lead screw actually has an 8mm pitch. When I go to their product page, it says 8mm diameter (roughly) and 2mm pitch.

By my math, if it's an 8mm pitch and the motor is rotating at its maximum speed of ~8000pps (40 rps), the speed of the actuator will be 8mm/r * 40r/s * 60s/min = 19200mm/min, well above the rated speed of 8000mm/min. If it's a 2mm pitch then its speed would be only 4800mm/s, well below the rated speed. I will need it to work at a speed close to 7000mm/min, so I don't think this will be feasible if it's only a 2mm pitch.

17. Peter Van Der Walt

2mm x 4 helixes = 8mm travel per rotation

Rick 2.0 likes this.
  18. Matthew Bolan

Builder

Ah alright, I didn't see that. Thank you very much!

19. R. D. Childers

Builder

I am wanting to build a single axis just to keep the cost down and get my feet wet. Is there a parts list? How to configure the power supply etc? I want the black box modular thing.

20. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

RD, Do you have a specific purpose/use in mind for this single axis?

21. R. D. Childers

Builder

Hey. Rick.

I am a manufacturing engineer. I am passionate about lowering the barriers to entry for the bottom billions. (spent some time homeless and dumpster diving as a kid) I am thinking that this single axis kit would work as a good starting point for jigs and fixtures in manufacturing. (lots of other ideas on how to make it more sophisticated and build upon it from there.) Since the LEAD machine has a high Z option, I downloaded the entire BOM for it and was going to try to pick my way thru it and compare it to the pictures/CAD models to try an create a single axis kit of my own. I have a large number of ideas. Would you like me to email you a copy?

22. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

The parts list is found under the parts list tab above and it should be in the same spot for all the OpenBuilds actuators. Downloading and dissecting the Sketchup files is also a good way to get a full understanding of the parts involved.

As far as using the BlackBox, it really isn't the way to go for single axis actuator systems. Simply pairing an Arduino with a stepper driver is far more cost effective and easier to program. These actuators can also be operated with any of a number of other controllers which would fall anywhere between Raspberry Pi systems all the way up to PLCs.

23. R. D. Childers

Builder

Hey, Rick.

Thanks. I should have mentioned this in a more coherent fashion. I want to be able to scale up to multi axis. I want the wiring, power supply, software control systems to be the same but modular for scaling up. Cost is a factor but the long term cost/flexibility/modularity/scalability are all tied together for what I have in mind.

Right now, I am just trying to get over the emotional hump of making a motor move and build upon that. (I will likely document things pretty thoroughly so others can follow the same trail)

Down the road........
    It the realm of Scaling, I am planning on using BeagleBone Black Wireless in the future in some shape form or capacity. Linux CNC, Machinekit • Moves. Controls. Things. I am very interested in larger motors and planetary gears.

24. Eric Whyte

Builder

Are there any issues using this build in the x/z plane instead of x/y? Would be using the 1000mm model for x and the 250mm model for z.

25. Peter Van Der Walt

Would be fine in XZ as well, as the leadscrews would be able to resist gravity quite well (depending on the actual loads of course)

26. pieterbreed

Builder

I'm new to this field and struggling to find out how to decide if this lead screw type design is fit for my purpose.

I am building a desk using aliminium extrusion (4040) and the current design is adjustable, but fixed in place.

I would like to extend this design to have a desk that can raise and lower. I'm imagining about a 1000mm of travel. The desk itself is quite heavy and with the PC, monitors, other random equipment and myself leaning on it, I'm thinking it will have to take a whole bunch of weight.

Can a lead-screw design actuator keep a desk up with such a load? In general, is there an intuition I can follow for thinking about the load limits of this design?

27. Peter Van Der Walt

pieterbreed likes this.