Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

V-Slot Linear Actuator NEMA 17 Kit Issue

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Bob Wesneski, Mar 4, 2022.

1. Bob Wesneski

Builder

In following the video, all was good until I tried to attach my NEMA 17 stepper motor (not supplied by OpenBuilds) to the end plate. After attaching the motor to the flex coupling, I found that I can't actually attach the motor to the end plate with the supplied 45mm screws; the flex coupling sticks out too far and hits the end plate. Looking at the build video, that should not happen. IMG_2081.jpg IMG_2082.jpg

I carefully researched all the dimensions of the parts before ordering and I confirmed that my stepper motor matches the dimensions of the OpenBuilds-supplied motor, according to the drawings on the website.

It looks like I'll have to use some slightly longer screws (50-55mm) plus my own homemade spacers or some other method to keep the motor spaced away from the end plate.

If someone can explain what I did wrong that would be a big help.

I also carefully examined the .skp file for the bundle that is on the website and I see that the shaft of the stepper motor in the drawing is a few millimeters shorter than a normal NEMA 17.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Is the motor shaft deep enough into the coupler - i.e. all the way to the halfway mark? Maybe even a little further (as long as you can still properly clamp in the leadscrew)
    Otherwise longer spacers (the alu spacers are stackable, just order the extra length you need) and screws (finding M3s that long might not be as easy), or trim the motor shaft. Or, easier, replace it with one of our motors

3. Bob Wesneski

Builder

Absolutely. I verified that, after I inserted it, it was a full 7-8 mm in. I verified with a digital caliper that the depth of the 5 mm side was about that depth. IMG_2080.jpg
    Here's a photo I took of the inside after I inserted the motor's shaft. I think you can see that it's as far as it can go.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.