Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

V-slot CO2 Laser (60-100w)

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by openhardwarecoza, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Atomist

Atomist New
    Builder

I ordered mine from Misumi. But during the assembly process I found that the tabbed version I had ordered, could not be used for some of the connections, they just wouldn't mount the way needed. So you can either file/grind down the tabs and or get non tabbed brackets. If you don't mind waiting, I would not order from Misumi again, purely BC of price. I think I paid like $.70 a bracket? You can order 100 brackets on Aliexpress from China for around $10. That beats having $70 in corner brackets.

I also experimented with 3d printed corner brackets using some t-slot I had for a temporary stand while building. The brackets I had printed were VERY strong in hand. But once they were mounted up, they just weren't up to the task. The stand was wobbly and many ended up cracking or breaking. I was surprised bc they felt so strong in hand. But there's just no substitution for metal brackets.

Also, T-Nuts are expensive. I'd recommend ordering them from Aliexpress as well.

These have tabs, anyone know a good source for untabbed?

Corner Brackets

100pcs 2020 corner fitting angle aluminum 20 x 20 L connector bracket fastener match use 2020 industrial aluminum profile-in Other Mechanical Parts from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

T-Nuts - Get some Pre-Assembly and or Post- Assembly T-Nuts. For the price it might just be worth getting all post. Those would be the smaller hammer head type. That way you can pop them in wherever you need them.

100pcs T sliding nut block M3 or M4 or M5 or M6 slide t nut for 20 series aluminum profile slot 6 mm cnc part-in Nuts from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (Get M5 to stay consistent with Openbuilds parts)

100PCS M5 Hammer Head T nut Fasten Nut Connector Nickel Plated for 20 series Slot Groove 6-in Nuts from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

100pcs/lot Steel With Zinc 2020 m5 m5 T Sliding Nut block M4 for 20 Aluminum Profile slot 6-in Nuts from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

100pcs 2020 M5 M5 Roll in T Spring Nut / M5 Half Round Elasticity Spring Nut Block for 2020 Aluminium Profile Slot Groove 6-in Nuts from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Glene likes this.
  2. Colin Russon

Builder

Excellent information here. Does anybody have the Inside Panels in DXF format?

3. Colin Russon

Builder

The tabs on the brackets are designed to snap off, use a set of pliers or a flat screw driver to snap them off depending on which brackets you buy.

4. openhardwarecoza

openhardwarecoza Journeyman
    Staff Member Builder

Use the Guitarlist DXF export plugin in sketchup to make a DXF

5. neox3

neox3 New
    Builder

Hi! Awesome project. Someone can give me an advice of where i csn see info about the electronics, calibration, what firmware is used... Etc. Very thanks

6. openhardwarecoza

Staff Member Builder

See github.com/openhardwarecoza/LaserWeb

7. diverp

diverp New
    Builder

I don't suppose anyone has recently contacted the supplier in the BOM for the laser tube and power supply? I have emailed them and have not gotten a response.

8. Atomist

Atomist New
    Builder

Last time I spoke to them would have been last spring. I of course ended up getting my tubr from the place I posted on the previous page. I found them to be more responsive, affordable and reputable. They deal in all kinds of laser components and were very helpful. They actually have their own brand of tubes that are high quality along with name brand.

9. diverp

diverp New
    Builder

Thanks Atomist. It sounds like you have had good luck with lasers and power supplies from your source? How much time have you had on that build with this laser tube?

Thanks

10. Sebix

Sebix New
    Builder

Hello, I am interested in building this machine, who can offer me his email for some questions ?
    or
    Can you direct me to more info on the build, electrical and software,
    the brackets for motors are custom made or you can buy them?
    What motors, what lens,what mirrors?
    ...and most important what size can it cut, and how do you build for larger objects to cut and engrave?

Thank you

11. openhardwarecoza

Staff Member Builder

@Sebix click the links above - files tab has all the models, bom, etc

Download the sketchup model to see how to build it

12. Sebix

Sebix New
    Builder

thank you, i found all the details, the only thing I don't know so far is the wiring...
    do I need to programing or its plug and play ? besides mechanical tuning
    I want to make a 1525x1025 worktable based on this project, can you help me choose the suitable stepper motors for the job ?
    now I am placing the order for the frame. thank you.

13. Ricardo Batata

Builder

Hello,

I have a cnc router, and now i follow this project, i want to build a co2 laser.

My question is, where i get the aluminium pices for X and Y axis, because some pieces have a 90 degress and i cannot cut on my cnc, the other ones no problem.

I wait for some help.

Thank you.

Best regards from Portugal :)
    Ricardo

14. Ricardo Batata

Builder

Hello,

many thanks for your reply.

I attached one picture, im talking about the pieces in the red box

Thanks

Attached Files:

15. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

16. Ricardo Batata

Builder

Hello,

Thanks for you answer. Somebody build this cnc? I like to know the work area dimensions.

I downloaded the skt model, but i cant precise the real work area.

Thanks,

best regards

17. islahcnc

islahcnc New
    Builder

Great built. I think I will build it soon and thank you so much to share it with us.

18. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

400x600+-

19. Ricardo Batata

Builder

hello,

Thanks for your answer.

I change the project and i build this cnc with 600x1200 work area

Thanks

20. BitHappy

BitHappy New
    Builder

Hey I'm having a little trouble with my motors. I'm using the Nema 17 and Nema 23, along with the DQ542MA Stepper Driver as was suggested in the build guide, along with the awc708c lite controller. My issues are these:

Firstly: I think my Y axis is getting messed up some how half way through printing? I do the test cut from the controller, and after it completes, it ends up about 10 cm higher than it started. :/ then if I manually move it up, instead of stopping automatically at the edge, it crashes into the side because it thinks there's still about 10 cm left to go.. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Secondly, but probably less importantly: somehow the x axis is reversed somehow. I had it set up so that if I press right on the controller, the laser head moves to the right, and up, up, etc. But when I had it like that, for some reason the test cut flipped the image across the y axis (left and right). it was still right side up, but the left and right were reversed. However, when I switched the wires so that it cut correctly, the directional pad on the controller became reversed. Up and down still work normally, but left now moves the laser to the right and right to the left. Does that make sense? I can't figure out why it would do that? If right registers as right on the controller, how come it cuts left and right reversed using the very same controller? At the end of the day, if I just have to use left for right and right for left, I really don't care that much. It could be a lot worse, its just kindof weird. Any ideas? Also, is the origin of the laser supposed to be in the top left? or the top right?

Does anyone know what might be going on here? especially for the first problem? I used all the pieces recommended in the project, has anyone else had similar problems or found ways to get theirs to work? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thank you so much! This has been really frustrating for me.

21. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

The origin in almost all of the CNC machines is bottom left corner when you stand in front of the x axis.

22. BitHappy

BitHappy New
    Builder

Ok interesting. so my vertical axis is backwards too? Why does it print right side up when I do the test cut then, I wonder? How do I know which wires I need to switch around to reverse it?

I apologize for the dumb questions, I've searched all over online though and have barely been able to turn anything up at all

23. openhardwarecoza

Staff Member Builder

The AWC controller is closed source so ask the people you bought it from... Since its closed/proprietary and overpriced i doubt you'll find answers about it here... Welcome to proprietary China - where things doesnt work (;
    Best to go read the AWC's manual or ask the seller.

Shouldve gone with a Grbl based board (like an XPRO) + LaserWeb4 instead... Open source for the win. Then your jog + cut would match. It would follow standard Cartesian standard (google that, see if you match the move directions) and would not be locked into badly translated plugings (;

As this build is old, back when i did this build, LaserWeb didnt exist yet. Grbl didnt have laser support yet. But since then these things happened. (; stay up to date

To swop a motor say your wires current on the DQ is 1,2,3,4: swop 1+2 so it becomes 2,1,3,4

#53 openhardwarecoza, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  24. BitHappy

BitHappy New
    Builder

Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll just try switching to an xpro haha. So you think it is a problem with the controller then? and not with the stepper drivers?

25. openhardwarecoza

Staff Member Builder

Of course. Drivers just do what they are told. Step/dir interface is as simple as it gets

26. BitHappy

BitHappy New
    Builder

Ahh makes sense. I only ask because my before all this I had one problem that was solved by setting the pulse/rev setting to a higher number, and another problem that was solved by fixing the wiring I had previously put in incorrectly, so I wasn't sure if it could be another wiring problem or setting the amps too high or something like that. I kinda wished it was actually cause thats probably an easier fix than the controller. :/

27. msleeper

msleeper New
    Builder

Did you have to make any major changes to the design to get these mounted? I am trying to find dimensions of the mount to update the design file - I am modifying the CAD design for this machine, and I want to use these mounts. Do you have measurements of them?

28. Wayne519

Wayne519 New
    Builder

Where did you get the motor/tube mounts and the drag chain mounts on the x and y axis?

29. scarab4t

scarab4t New
    Builder

what supports the rear of the static bed

30. Shearder

Shearder New
    Builder

hey guys
    the M5 t-nuts or slide nuts for the frame what size socket head screws did you match up with? M5 x 8mm or 10mm?