Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

V-Slot Belt Driven Linear Actuator Build

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Mark Carew, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Ashoke

Ashoke New
    Builder

What will be the total length of timing belt included if I choose to buy 1 meter v-slot belt driven with nema23 bundle?

2. Robert Wagner

Builder

I have an application where I want to measure the torque my motor is applying to achieve certain strain rates.
    Does anyone know of a DC motor I could retrofit to this actuator instead of the stepper motor that would allow me to do this?

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You can get Brushless DC motors in standard NEMA17/23/etc mounting pattern that is a straight swop (but I have not seen plain old brushed DC in that mounting in a long time now)
    nema 17 brushless DC motor - Google Search
    Or just make up a little adapter plate between the two different mounting patterns for any other DC motor you would like to use

Robert Wagner likes this.
  4. Robert Wagner

Builder

Thanks for the help and quick reply Peter! I'll look into it and hopefully I can find something.

5. Juan Suero

Builder

Hello,

I ordered 2 of these builds but i want to replace the stepper motor with a servo motor. Specifically the Dynamixel mx-12w.
    Reason being is that I built a robot called Kaya from Nvidia and the three wheels use this motor and i know how to program it.

With the Openbuilds Nema 17 stepper motor it seems more complicated, i have to get a driver board and arduino and i have to figure out how to power it.
    Whereas i already know how to connect the Dynamixel to the NVidia board both for power and data its easy and there are already samples that drive them.

But im stuck on the simplest thing. The Dynamixel doesnt come with a shaft like the Nema 17 does. So i cannot attach the GT2-2M Timing Pulley to the Dynamixel.
    I spent hours looking on the internet for how to do this.

How can i attach the GT2-2M Timing Pulley to the Dynamixel? Im so new that it took me an hour to craft this email.

DYNAMIXEL MX-12W
    DYNAMIXEL MX-12W

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

It looks like it has a standard splined servo horn, so checkout suppliers of standard servo accessories, they make timing pulleys with the same spline shaft mounting as the servo horn:

upload_2020-10-7_15-42-56.png

7. Juan Suero

Builder

Thanks Peter. I ended up making a custom wheel hub at shapeways. kind of expensive but this is a prototype i need to try all the options. I also ordered plastic versions which are cheaper.

As for the NEMA 17 stepping motors. I saw that one way to control them was through arduino but i already have a rasperry pi .. actually i have an Nvidia Jetson. but same difference. I was used to the easy way that the board provides the power AND the data interface to the servos by chaining them together through a serial to usb adapter that plugs into the board. it just works.

But from scanning the internet It seems the NEMA 17 requires a "driver board" connected to an arduino. So now i need and arduino and this "driver board too"? I wouldnt have the first clue how to power all three of these things at the same time unless i used a powerstrip i guess.

how do i get the NEMA 17 to connect to my nvidia jetson or raspberry pi?
    how do i power all these things from one place so i only have 1 power cable into the wall?

also how do i do this the "traditional" way.. as in with the driver board and arduino?

I plan on having 10 linear actuators. which another motor ( stepper or server ) mounted on each gantry plate so that would be a total of 20 motors.

thanks for you help.