Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

V carve pro with black box ?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Tom Bellfoy, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Tom Bellfoy

Builder

Being new to openbuilds with my lead cnc, I am thinking of trying the v carve pro cad design software free trial version for now, will it be compatible with the blackbox ? So much to learn

2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Yes. There is a grbl post processor for Vcarve. The BlackBox flavor of Gcode is grbl.

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

And newer versions even have an OpenBuilds CNC Post (slightly modified from the Grbl posts - you can technically use either, the OpenBuilds one just has extra timeout for spindle spin-up, and gets rid of GCODES that Grbl does not support (M6 etc)

Vectric Post.png

Giarc likes this.
  4. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Good to know. I bought Vcarve with one of my last OpenBuilds orders, but have not got around to using it.

5. PeterPasse

Builder

I have an older version of V Carve Pro 7.5. There are no p/p for Grbl. How can I get the Openbuilds Grbl to load into my V Carve? I just purchase an OpenBuilds Lead 1515 (awaiting shipping) and would like to use the V Carve that I have to design and send directly to the black box controller. Thanks Pete

6. PeterPasse

Builder

How can I get a download of the OpenBuilds P/p for V Carve Pro 7.5 ? Thanks Pete

7. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Here;

docs:software:vectric [OpenBuilds Documentation]

Alex.

Edit - just read your post properly the link (you have probably already found that out) is for a later edition of Vectric software. Don't know whether thaty works or not. Have you got a grbl (mm) (*.g-code) pp for your version?

#7 Alex Chambers, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  8. PeterPasse

Builder

No, no P/p listed for any grbl on my version. Wanted to add it to My P/p in my version of V carve.. Thanks Pete

9. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Have you tried the PP I linked to?
    Alex.

10. PeterPasse

Builder

Yes, there was a download for older versions. I downloaded it and copied it to My P/P in V Carve. I shut down V carve and started it again and got an error window that said: Config File, Unknown statement found in file on line 46 of file, C:\Documents and Settings\ll Users, Windows\Application Data\ Vectric\VCarve Pro\V7,5\My_PostP\OpenBuilds_inch.pp POST_BASE = "gRBL_INCH.PP"

11. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Sorry - can't help much with that V7. 5 is before my time. Hopefully someone else will join in this thread. I never put a pp in "my pp" because it becomes the only one available - I always put them in the folder with the rest of the post processors.
    If I get time tomorrow I'll have a look at line 46 in that pp - could you please post it here? although there will probably be other issues with it. Have you tried asking in the Vectric forum?

VCarve - General

Alex.

12. PeterPasse

Builder

Thanks for your help. I have not posted in Vectric forum. What did you want me to post here? I don't know how to open the file to see the code. Any help? Thanks Pete

13. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

You said you found a post processor for an older version? Post it here and I'll have a look to see if I can see if it can be modified - depends what the statement Vectric is objecting to is. But asking the question in the Vectric forum might get a response from someone who is still using V7.5.
    Alex.

14. PeterPasse

Builder

It was in the link that you sent. There were options, first for current V Carve and option 2 was for older versions. I chose option 2, downloaded it and copied it to My_P\P folder. I don't know how to open it to see the code that it refers to. Thanks Pete

15. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

Ahh - no there is only the download for the latest Openbuilds post processor - option 2 says install ours, or use the built in pp's. I think you will have to ask on the Vectric forum unless another member of this forum can come up with V7.5 post processor for you.
    Alex.

16. PeterPasse

Builder

I found the code in the download that I used. It has a POST_NAME = "OpenbBuilds GRBL (Inches) (*.GCODE) and a POST_BASE = "Grbl_inch.pp" FILE_EXTENTION = "GCODE" UNITS = "INCHES" It is the POST_BASE THAT V Carve does not like as an unknown statement. What would it like for a POST_BASE do you think?

17. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

If no one can help you here, post a message or search the vectric forums for and older grbl post processor. Even if you find one, there's no guarantee that it will work. In looking at the current post (which you can open with a text editor), it doesn't like the line "POST_BASE = "Grbl_inch.pp"". That information will give you so detail to ask over in their forums.

Edit: we replied at the same time. Here: What does the Post_Base command do
    That tells me that it also needs the file in the main posts folder. But since there is no grbl base post it errors. Perhaps take it out? Again, you might be better off over at the Vectric forums.

18. PeterPasse

Builder

Thanks

19. sharmstr

sharmstr OpenBuilds Team

Alex Chambers likes this.
  20. PeterPasse

Builder

Thanks, I loaded it and no error windows. Made changes that were also in thread. Have to wait for my machine to arrive and will try it. Saved toolpaths from existing files and no errors either. Thanks Pete

Alex Chambers, sharmstr and Giarc like this.