Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

V Carve Pro Project run times

Discussion in 'Other Software' started by dlhoulton, Aug 6, 2019.

1. dlhoulton

dlhoulton New
    Builder

I run the latest version of V Carve Pro for designing projects and use Open Builds Control as my GCode sender. When I design a project and develop tool profiles I always look to see how long it will take to run the project. I know they are "estimated", but when I generate gcode and send to OpenBuilds Control the project doesn't seem to take nearly as long to run as estimated by V Carve Pro. For an example, I had a project that V Carve pro estimated that was going to take 19 hours to run, but when I loaded gcode into Open Builds Control software and started project it only took a little less than 12 hours to run (7 hours difference). Very hard to get good estimates on running projects when there is such a large time difference. To me V Carve Pro (with its price tag) should give a more realistic estimated run time. I mean everything is set up in the program ( Feeds and Speeds as well as bit selection). Am I missing something or is that just to be expected?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Calculating it is really really hard, so probably both are wrong. We (OpenBuildsCONTROL) take move length * feedrate for that move *1.3 (30% extra time to account for acceleration/deceleration) - do that for each move, and add up the sum after doing that for each move. Thats the estimate we give you :)
    It will never be perfect though, acceleration, deceleration, minor delays when sending commands, rapid moves, etc all come into play

That said, it seems to always take longer than you expect :) so budget on the longest one and add a couple hours just in case

Rick 2.0 likes this.
  3. dlhoulton

dlhoulton New
    Builder

Thanks for the info. Just a little frustrating when working up a project. I mean when a V Carve Pro tells me something is going to take 19 hours and when loaded into OpenBuilds Control software and it only takes 12 hours. To me that's a lot of time difference/planning!! While running the program I timed it against what OpenBuilds Control calculated it to run and it actuality took just a little less time than it calculated. So to me OpenBuilds Control does a far better job at calculating job/machining times.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Yeah that 30% overestimation has been dialed in over the course of about 3 years of testing on "our kind of machines" :) so good to hear!