Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Using Dremel bits?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by giantkiller, Dec 13, 2019.

1. giantkiller

Builder

I currently have a large Warthog CNC table. I got the crazy notion that I could use Dremel bits based upon the collet size. Well lo and behold the Dremel bits creep out of the collets. I am wondering if these Dremel bits are a tad smaller or the chrome finish doesn't grip well in the brass collet clamping.
    Any ideas. I was thinking of buying the
    Reducing Collet Adapter 1/4" to 1/8"
    here but is the bits creep out then its a no go.
    Any ideas?
    I do have a Dremel drill holder I had 3d printed but was trying to avoid mounting that if I can simply change bits.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Wallied

Wallied New
    Builder

I've tried Dremel bits on an ER 16 collet before, and they work without problems. Do notice, however, that Dremel bits come in a variety of shank diameters, which may explain your problems with them.

3. giantkiller

Builder

This is what I was curious about. We are thinking the shank diameters are micrometers different. The collet grabs the shank stifly but at the spindle speed the bit swages/creeps out. Now the Dremel bits come from all over the world. I will buy the adapter i mentioned just to bypass building a mounting adapter for the Dremel head for the time being.

4. phil from seattle

phil from seattle Journeyman
    Builder

Do you not have a micrometer/digital calipers? Then you would know. I think it's one of those "must haves" for anyone using a CNC machine. I can't imagine not having one. If nothing else when cutting sheet material, I know how deep to actually cut. Not very expensive at all.

Also, are you wanting to use Dremel bits for cost savings?

#4 phil from seattle, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  5. giantkiller

Builder

I have a nice collection of Dremel bits along with a 3d printed mount for the handheld Dremel extension along with the hand held extension for my Prusa 3, 3d printer.
    My thinking was to mount the 3d printed extension mount to the router table and use the wide selection of smaller bits for detail routing.
    I also have a digital micrometer. The router table bits measure 3.07mm while the Dremels are 3.08mm. The small variance is what I was looking for that could be the start of the problem.
    I am also wondering if my 20"/minute feedrate could have helped in the blade drop out.
    I just made a router shoe and installed to minimize dust so I can get back to the table to try the feedrate of 5"/minute test.
    The PVC material turned my garage into a snow globe.
    The Warthog table needed a home so I offered for the use of it. Using a Flashcut controller. I went through the gear tooth counting and table parameters to get this monstrosity running. Have run 3 jobs already using Enroute 3 and Vectric Aspire 9.5. I have done a lot of work with this device in the past 2 months.

6. giantkiller

Builder

Here is the Prusa Dremel mount in Tinkercad and real life.
    I realized that I would prefer to spend time designing and getting to the next step so I farmed the print out for $20.00 fee.
    I didn't want to spend time 3d printing. The goal was to CNC mill with my Prusa at that time.
    The experience with the Warthog enabled me to migrate back to the Prusa to do 3d CNC instead of printing.
    Printing has too many failure points to deal with. I like 3d modeling and decided to stay in that arena and let someone else deal with the headaches.
    Thank you all for the help in this subject so far.

Attached Files:

7. phil from seattle

phil from seattle Journeyman
    Builder

A 1/8" shank is 3.175mm. Being undersized by almost 0.1mm could be significant, especially for an adapter but there is only one way to know for sure. None of the manufacturers I looked at specify min and max shaft sizes - just 1/8" nominal. Obviously, there is some allowance for variation. Just wish they would actually specify it.

I have quite a few 1/8" shank bits (none from Dremel) and they measure in the range of 3.14 to 3.16 mm though I suspect my micrometer is slightly low. Never had a problem with slipping/creeping bits. I have a couple of adapters but usually use an actual 1/8" collet on my DW611. I really don't trust adapters - not only for slipping but because of the potential for additional runout.

8. giantkiller

Builder

Thanks for the shank diameter validation measurements! I was suspicious of this when the bit drop happened. I will try the openbuilds adapter and report here.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.