Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

USB issues

Discussion in 'CNC Projects' started by Chris611, Dec 29, 2022.

1. Chris611

Chris611 New
    Builder

I've been struggling with hit and miss USB disconnects while cutting with my plasma cutter. Sometimes it works fine, then I'll get disconnects shortly after the torch fires or about a half second after the torch starts cutting. I have a blowback style torch not a high frequency torch. Would the interface CNC touch that open builds offers solve this issue?? I see it still has a USB cable, so am I still susceptible to USB issues between the open builds controller and the black box?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Make sure it doesn't still have an HF component to it (Blowback with HF pre-arc to establish main arc)

Maybe, but it would be way better to address the SOURCE of any EMI - as while its still present it may cause interruptions to the BlackBox itself, to the Interface, etc as well - not just computers are affected

It doesn't use USB, it uses a 5V UART (see docs.openbuilds.com/interface) but again, the mode of connection is less relevant - than the fact that something is still causing disruption to electrical signals - in the end doesn't matter what the exact comms are, it may still happen

1) Adding Power filtering : https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/power-line-filter-modules/838 to arrest any noise coming back down the power line from the Inverter
    2) Check cable routing - seperating noisy cable runs from all other cabling as far as possible. Depending on the machine setup, don't forget the earth clamp on the bed, may be connected to machine frame, and thus machine frame is now "a nearby wire" to the rest of the wires
    3) Try putting computer on seperate power circuit
    4) Install some more Ferrite Beads docs:blackbox:faq-emi [OpenBuilds Documentation] discusses ferrites a little more)