Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

USB Connection Error

Discussion in 'Control Software' started by jginvc, Feb 23, 2023.

1. jginvc

jginvc New
    Builder

unfortunately I get this error with the earlier version which is what started me down this road to begin with. Openbuilds claims it cannot detect my machine but if I use a terminal program I can access the machine no problem.
    [14:21:30] [ 3D Viewer ] WebGL Support found! success: this application will work optimally on this device!

[14:21:30] [ websocket ] Bidirectional Websocket Interface Started Succesfully

[14:21:31] [ update ] Checking for Updates

[14:21:32] [ Update Available! ] OpenBuilds CONTROL 1.0.354. is available now.

[14:21:32] [ Update Available! ] Download will start in 0 seconds (cancel)

[14:21:32] [ Update Available! ] You will be prompted when its ready to be installed

[14:21:41] [ connect ] PORT INFO: Port is now open: /dev/ttyACM0 - Attempting to detect Firmware

[14:21:41] [ connect ] Checking for firmware on /dev/ttyACM0

[14:21:41] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 1 (Autoreset)

[14:21:41] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 2 (Ctrl+X)

[14:21:42] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 3 (others that are not supported)

[14:21:45] [ connect ] ERROR!: No supported firmware detected - See docs:blackbox:faq-usb-connection-failed [OpenBuilds Documentation] for more details. Closing port /dev/ttyACM0

[14:21:45] [ disconnect ] PORT INFO: Port closed

2. jginvc

jginvc New
    Builder

and BTW the link given in the error message is broken.

3. jginvc

jginvc New
    Builder

I had to go all the way back to V1.0.321 before it started working again.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Its not. It takes you to the landing page to select which controller you have - to redirect you accordingly :)

The connection issue is not related to the original thread you posted in, so will be moved to its own thread shortly.

Review the page linked in the error in the meantime please

5. jginvc

jginvc New
    Builder

How can upgrading to a newer version and have it no longer connect when it connects just fine with an older version and with a terminal program be “an electrical issue”?

6. jginvc

jginvc New
    Builder

After being out of commission for several months due to surgeries, I came back to fire up my machine again and thought this issue was fixed by now but I just installed the latest version v1.0.369 after using v1.0.321 for a while and same problem.

7. Peter Van Der Walt

8. jginvc

jginvc New
    Builder

That link doesn’t work. Where is the actual document?

9. jginvc

jginvc New
    Builder

I looked at the documentation and it is no help. Why does it work with an old version but not with the new? If there is a reason can you just say what it is rather than pointing me to useless documentation?

10. Peter Van Der Walt

It does work fine - but as the software and docs has to cope with new and old controller customers alike the wiki caters to both controllers. You just have to follow the instructions onscreen and select what you have: Click on the 4X or X32 to continue (whichever one you have). The Wiki will redirect you accordingly

For example, if you have an X32, click the X32 to Visit the BlackBox X32 Documentation

upload_2023-6-1_19-17-4.png

I grouped the usual (and all known resolvable) causes we've gathered over the years - into that FAQ myself, so when you are reading that - that - is me - telling you all the causes. It as comprehensive as it gets. If you get to the bottom of the document, you are basically out of options (provided you worked each step meticolously - skipping over the troubleshooting of course won't help you at all).

I can't "just say what it is" because it could be one of a lot of things. I can tell you I ordered the list in order of likelyhood. And I can tell you to follow the FAQ page I wrote specifically for users to find/fix issues related to connection errors. Which is why I pointed you there earlier. Also why the software error message tells you to check it out...

Now also proceed to work through the points one by one. A quick look might miss something. Did you do what we ask you to do in Step 6.3.5 (Particularly as we see its a linux machine, do a test with a Windows PC) etc for example?

Your observation that a terminal connection works, further makes section 6.3.5 likely a good test (to try a different computer) - not all the points on that page deals with wiring.

Section 6.3.2 of the above link could play into as well, are you sure /dev/ACM0 is the BlackBox? FTDI usually resolves as /dev/ttyUSBx instead. ACMx (Abstract control model) implies an emulated port. The FTDI USB chip is a native USB device, not emulated) - possibly selecting the wrong device in the dropdown?

The linux equivalents of 6.3.3 (sudo dmesg | grep FTDI or sudo lsusb -v etc) may be helpful too.

If that really is the case (not one of the other causes), possibly outdated linux depencies? Are you updating your OS regularly? Open a terminal and run "uname -a" and "cat /etc/*release" and copy/paste the output here.
    You can run CONTROL from a terminal as well, with DEBUGCONTROL=true environment variable if you want more specific OS errors.

You can review the Changelog to see what changed in each version: OpenBuilds-CONTROL/CHANGELOG.txt at master · OpenBuilds/OpenBuilds-CONTROL
    A lot changes over time, so OS depencencies, libraries handling things differently, etc

David the swarfer likes this.