Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

USB-C Socket / Computer

Discussion in 'Interfaces' started by Barzalou, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Barzalou

Barzalou Well-Known
    Builder

A question of curiosity.... On the side of the interface, there's a USB-C Socket with the label Computer. My question is.... Does this USB-C connection allow us to connect a computer, to have an "on demand" access to the controller software on the computer without having to unplug the interface?

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Yes you can, but note that its not entirely the purpose so host and Interface may conflict over things like Errors, alarms, etc

Must be in Jog mode to connect and latest firmware and latest control

Barzalou likes this.
  3. aGremlin

aGremlin New
    Builder

So I've tried this out and cant' seem to make it work. I have the interface connected to a blackbox controller and it works just fine. I then plug a computer into the USB-C port with a USB-C to USB-A cable and see it pop up in the OpenBuilds Control software on the computer. I expected to be able to connect to this just like I had connected to the USB on the blackbox and control things but whenever I try and connect it just throws errors out on the PC. I am up to date on the controller firmware according to it when I ask it to query the WiFi (it did come with a firmware that wouldn't attach to wifi so I upgraded it via USB to get that working, which makes some sense).

I thought Jog mode was the mode where the control will let me move the axis around, and it does that prior to my connecting the computer, what am I doing wrong?

thank you!

4. Peter Van Der Walt

You use either the Interface, or the Computer. Interface is designed to replace the PC allowing you to run jobs directly on the machine

5. aGremlin

aGremlin New
    Builder

Okay thank you, that seems to contradict the post above which says "You can but it's not the purpose" so I can just plug into the usb on the black box when I need to use a PC, and the controller will be bypassed. I had removed that cable thinking I could just plug into the box as a passthrough when I wanted to use a computer. That'd be a nice future since in my setup that's a much more accessible port.

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Can and should is not the same :)
    Its more for debug / developer / troubleshooting.

versus

#6 Peter Van Der Walt, Oct 21, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    Rick 2.0 likes this.