Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Upgrading X axis to 1000mm cbeam

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Jeff Walk, Oct 2, 2022.

1. Jeff Walk

Jeff Walk New
    Builder

I have a 4040ex foxalien. I am wanting to change the x to a cbeam like this, C-Beam® Linear Actuator Bundle.

I needing the Y axis plates to mount the new Cbeam to the the inside of my Y plates on my 4040EX machine. Having a hard time finding something that would work? 7D3BE7E5-DABA-4C01-8517-8F6A1927F45D.jpeg Any help would be appreciated.

2. Alex Chambers

Alex Chambers Master
    Moderator Builder

That looks rather like the Workbee design in principle. I don't know where you would buy those plates, but the design is freely available in various formats.

OpenBuilds Workbee 1010 (40" x 40")

Alex.

#2 Alex Chambers, Oct 3, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    Jeff Walk likes this.
  3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Jeff Walk and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  4. Jeff Walk

Jeff Walk New
    Builder

62ABC495-75B4-4088-A1AB-A814D8783CD5.jpeg
    Like this? That was what I was thinking also, I am a newbie when it comes to this. So I really dont know how to make these plates, or what can be used? I also like you idea of the X-Large C-beam….

#4 Jeff Walk, Oct 3, 2022
  5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Use your
    to machine replacement plates for itself?

Jeff Walk likes this.
  6. Jeff Walk

Jeff Walk New
    Builder

FFDBB94D-F2ED-470C-B32B-6FBC2B269C79.jpeg Would like the plates that are in red, that would attach the X which would be a C-beam to Y of my 4040XE Foxalien. By adding this to the inside would be able to also raise the height of the Z…

I really dont know what all would need to be machined or what might already be available? Or what all extra parts would need to be added to make this work?

7. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

If you're not in a position to mill them just order the plates cut to size. (You won't find the plates you seek on a ready-made on a shelf though as this is a mod not many people are making.) You can use your existing plates and the new end plates as templates to mark and drill holes for the new plates you are creating. One of the aluminum resources I've had success with is Cast Aluminum Tool & Jig Plate | Midwest Steel & Aluminum (midweststeelsupply.com). 1/4" plate is probably the thinnest you should work with for this. And be careful not to make the plates any taller than necessary. The taller they get, the more side-to-side sway the frame will have and this is bad for the quality of the cut.

As an option you could also mount 20x80 extrusions vertically to the inside Y-axis gantry plates and use these instead of cut plates. There are plenty of examples of how to attach the C-Beam to the 20x80 risers in the forum using Cast Corner Bracket - OpenBuilds Part Store. (Check CNC Mills/Routers) This would offer substantial rigidity over 1/4" plates.

Jeff Walk and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  8. Jeff Walk

Jeff Walk New
    Builder

I did see that using the 20x80 extrusions. How would the 20x80 be mounted to my Y axis plate?

Using the 20x80 would be the best option.

#8 Jeff Walk, Oct 3, 2022
  9. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team

Drill some holes in the existing plates (4 would be sufficient) and run some screws from the inside out into tee nuts embedded in the slots of the V-slot. Not fully sure how this will interface with your system as all I can get are vague images of the Y-axis carriage plates. I can see there are bolt heads sticking out but I can't tell the spacing or the size on them.

10. Jeff Walk

Jeff Walk New
    Builder

Gotcha, the inside plate already has four holes in that plate. So it sounds like this might be simpler? Might be able to drill holes in the 20x80 and that go all the way thru to the y axis holes in that plate.
    Thanks for your help….