Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Upgraded 3018 Pro using MGN15H Linear Rails and a 500w Spindle

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by dJOS_500, Jul 17, 2022.

1. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

Nice! I’m looking forward to seeing your build. :cool:

2. Balazs Vaci

Builder

Dear Derek, impressed by your upgrades and documentation! I decided to implement the Y axis upgrade on my standard size 3018. All details clear (will order 300mm lenght rails only), however wondering if the 2080 side increase is a must to have your setup - I mean the printed adapter & 2020 rail & MGN15H rails combo - will work smooth with standard machine hight as well? Appreciate your advise in advance, will wait with my purchase on your feedback.

dJOS_500 likes this.
  3. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

Howdy, thanks for the nice words, I’m glad you found my documentation helpful.

Regarding the 2080, you don’t need to do that mod. I only did it so I could use a really thick spoil board and gain some Z height back. I also have a large Makita router as my spindle, so that helps keep the space below it useful.

4. Balazs Vaci

Builder

Howdy thanks for the superfast assistance. I am goint to start the purchase and the rebuild, again. Not long ago implemented MGN12 rails on X axis with new Z carriage to the usual 500w chinese spindle.
    Besides all that, a big thumbs up for sharing all your plans and videos, impressing indeed that we can build this little toy to work like a bit bigger beast.
    Enjoy the day and keep in touch

5. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

Nice! Enjoy the ride. :thumbsup:

6. Nandox7

Nandox7 New
    Builder

@dJOS_500 I see that you recommend spring t-nuts. Is that for any special reason?
    Need to get some to hold the rails and wondering if I get normal ones or that spring type.
    Thanks

7. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

Only for those areas you can’t get a sliding T nut into. Mainly I just recommend not using the rotating T nuts because half the time they don’t engage properly.

Nandox7 likes this.
  8. MikeP

MikeP New
    Builder

I agree with @dJOS_500 about the rotating T-nuts, they have a tendency of not rotating and locking in the vertical position especially when used for mounting linear rails with so many screws.

I went with the rotating ones but was rather disappointed when I used them for mounting two long y-axis 750mm linear rails.

For peace of mind go with [spam link removed. Visit openbuildspartstore.com instead] instead of the rotating which I think are very good for situations where it is not easy to slide in without needing to dismantle a plate.

Nandox7 and dJOS_500 like this.
  9. Nandox7

Nandox7 New
    Builder

Thanks all, ordered the spring type ones.

Also changed the idea I had for the Z axis and carriage.
    Initial plan was to make my own, but realized that cost wise would end up close to buying one plus I'd have a problem to make the moving block.
    So got this, this one is for NEMA23 but talked with the seller and they sending me one with NEMA17 hole spacing.[​IMG]
    (went with 50mm effective travel because don't think I need 100mm)

10. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

NEMA 23’s are definitely ideal, you just need to make sure there is space to Mount them - I stayed with 17’s on mine because there wasn’t space.

11. Nandox7

Nandox7 New
    Builder

I don't want to spend more into this at the moment. I have loads of NEMA17 but no NEMA23.

Plus I'd have to review the board/stepper drivers, the CNC came with a cheap woodpecker.
    Really don't like it. So prefer to first invest into a more decent board (or convert one of the old 3D printer boards I have).

12. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

that z axis looks fairly similar to mine, and it does have space for both size motors. I was more referring to the rest of my machine which only supports 17’s.

Btw, I recommend you bin that solid coupler and replace it with something decent. I found the helical slit couplers to be excellent. They have the lowest backlash of any flexible couplers I’ve tested.

eg Slit Style Couplings

13. Nandox7

Nandox7 New
    Builder

Ah got it. Yes there is no space for them directly, would require some mounts.

Have to check those couplers, mine came with those cheap flexible helical couplers, but I swap it right away for rigid ones.

PXL_20240628_141413136.jpg

Have some other type here to try.

PXL_20240628_141924584.jpg

14. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

Those couplers in your first picture are not flexible, and the jaw couplers shown below are IMO very poor, due to introduced backlash.

15. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Also, never rely on the coupler and the bearing in your stepper to hold the screw rigidly. There can be internal play in the stepper motor. There should be a bearing and a lock collar on each end. The shaft coupler should be exterior of those components. That is if you want accuracy and repeatability.

Peter Van Der Walt and dJOS_500 like this.
  16. Neil Scott

Builder

Man, I know you how you love your Makita as as do I as a palm router and all the tinkering you do with it but at those speeds you are going to seriously damage your hearing, at some point even though it's only a super upgraded 3018 don't you think it deserves for your hearing sake a water called spindle and drop those DB's or do you have some sort of case that you can put round it?

I'm 62 now and I've lost about 35% of my hearing and that was just from basically 20+ years driving in the UK with the window down on one side and 20+ years living in Spain driving on the other side of the road with the window down and it's done that much damage so God knows what that is gonna do your hearing by the time you're my age.....

Keep up the good work, amazing what you're doing with that machine...

dJOS_500 likes this.
  17. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

There is hearing protection available. I use it all the time due to the noise of both the dust collector and the spindle.

dJOS_500 likes this.
  18. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

Cheers, it’s been a fun project.

You are 100% right, I wear hearing protection when I’m using it because it’s so loud. I already had tinnitus to start with, and the Makita definitely doesn’t help.

The main reason for using it, is it was cheap. It cost me half of what the retail cost is here in Australia, and Jon Harrison kindly sent me the GRBL_SPD controllers to test for free as in the only person he knows with 240v 50hz power.

I intend to upgrade my spindle at some point, but I need to get another job first - I got made redundant after 5 years at the company I worked for, back in April.

19. Balazs Vaci

Builder

Hello Giarc, may I ask some picture of your suggested solution? Thank you in advance, would assist a lot. Cheers

20. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Different system, same concept

Bearings constrain the leadscrew lengthwise in the actuator, coupler just transfers rotational forces to spin the leadscrew

250-1000mm we use compression

and

Over 1000mm (i.e for 1500mm actuators) you switch to a tensioned system to pull leadscrew out of any sag

Also see the full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDeI80MYQtbqZahZvCIcOPhE0wO3RirvY

dJOS_500 likes this.
  21. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I think those videos Peter linked show it better than any picture I can take of my machines. Besides, I built them as the videos show.

dJOS_500 likes this.
  22. dJOS_500

dJOS_500 Journeyman
    Builder

i use the lead screw in tension config also. I have bearings at either end, with lock collars to constrain the lead screw.