Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Unable to Flash BlackBox

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Skevern, May 25, 2020.

1. Skevern

Skevern New
    Builder

I've been using my BlackBox controller successfully on a 2-axis plotter for about a year now. In the past 2 months, every time I home the machine, change settings, try to reset X0Y0Z0, etc., I've gotten the error:

“error:7” : _(“EEPROM read failed. Reset and restored to default values.”),

I did some reading in the forums, and decided to re-flash grbl onto the blackbox controller using the OpenBuilds CONTROL Flashing Tool. I used a Macbook Pro with updated drivers, and disconnected everything from the BlackBox except the USB cable. When I flash, I get this message:

[10:27:04] [ Firmware Upgrade ] connected
    [10:27:05] [ Firmware Upgrade ] reset complete.
    [10:27:05] [ Firmware Upgrade ] flashing, please wait. . .
    [10:27:26] [ Firmware Upgrade ] flash complete.

However when I go to connect to the BlackBox, I'm unsuccessful. I get this series of errors. I've tried flashing around 10 times with no success.

[10:35:16] [ connect ] PORT INFO: Port is now open: /dev/tty.usbserial-A906L0CK - Attempting to detect Firmware
    [10:35:16] [ connect ] Checking for firmware on /dev/tty.usbserial-A906L0CK
    [10:35:16] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 1 (Autoreset)
    [10:35:17] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 2 (Ctrl+X)
    [10:35:18] [ connect ] Detecting Firmware: Method 3 (others that are not supported)
    [10:35:20] [ connect ] ERROR!: No supported firmware detected - you need a controller with Grbl 1.1x on it, or there is a problem with your controller. Closing port /dev/tty.usbserial-A906L0CK
    [10:35:20] [ disconnect ] PORT INFO: Port closed

Am I missing something here? How can I successfully flash grbl back onto my BlackBox controller?

2. Skevern

Skevern New
    Builder

Based on this thread, I also attempted to use ArduinoISP to bootload the chip in the blackbox controller: Same USB Problem but different person lol

It was unsuccessful, with this error:
    avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x7e00
    0xff != 0x11
    avrdude: verification error; content mismatch
    Error while burning bootloader.

I've uploaded a photo of the setup, as well as a video of trying to bootload the chip in the blackbox controller. There is some weird relay clicking, and 'tool on' light that seems like it might be causing an issue.

upload_2020-5-25_14-11-19.png

Attached Files:

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Reflashing was the wrong solution (EEPROM is seperate from flash memory), rather refer to gnea/grbl for use of the $RST=* command if you get that error in the future.

The relay shouldn't click, so Remove the Relay jumper and try rebootloading (SPI SCK and Spindle PWM is the same Pin D13)

#3 Peter Van Der Walt, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  4. Skevern

Skevern New
    Builder

Thanks for the response Peter. I was probably a bit hasty on the re-flash.

When I remove the relay jumper and reattempt to bootload, I'm met with the same error. The relay no longer clicks but the 'tool on' light is still activated. I just tested my wiring / Arduino configuration by bootloading a different Arduino, successfully. Any other ideas why I'm met with this error?

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x7e00
    0xff != 0x11
    avrdude: verification error; content mismatch
    Error while burning bootloader.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  5. Peter Van Der Walt

I notice you have an active ticket on http://support.openbuilds.com/support/home already, will advise them to kickoff an RMA process for you
    Not sure, but possible the chip got damaged somehow. Store will sort you out :)

6. Skevern

Skevern New
    Builder

Thank you Peter! Can't wait to get back up and running.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  7. Peter Van Der Walt

I can imagine!
    They'll be on it in no time
    Grbl eeprom corruption is not too rare (that's why it has eeprom reset commands) but yeah, guess something hardware was already the root cause of that error underneath it :)

8. Jesse Parker

Builder

Hey @Peter Van Der Walt , I just sent in a ticket with a similar error. I never heard back from the parts store when I sent it, am I supposed to get a confirmation you got the message or are you just backed up a bit right now? Thanks and happy holidays!

9. Peter Van Der Walt

Usually a reply within 24hrs. Check your spam folder, if nothing, follow up with http://support.openbuilds.com/support/home

10. Jesse Parker

Builder

Cool, thanks Peter! I followed up.

In case there's an obvious fix to this, here's a snippet of the error when I run the Unlock code.

[11:35:42] [ $I ] ok
    [11:35:44] [ connect ] Firmware Detected: grbl version 1.1g on COM6
    [11:36:58] [ ] error: 7 - EEPROM read failed. Reset and restored to default values. [ undefined ]
    [11:36:58] [ ERROR ] error: 7 - EEPROM read failed. Reset and restored to default values. [ undefined ]
    [11:36:58] [ ] error:7
    [11:36:58] [ ] Grbl 1.1g ['$' for help]

then it spits out all the starting grbl messages.

11. Peter Van Der Walt

Grbl has tools for dealing with corruption in the EEPROM: gnea/grbl - run $RST=*

12. Jesse Parker

Builder

Thanks Peter, are you in EU time? I was more clear in my contact form, I did my research and found you recommending that to someone else so I had tried all the $RST functions.. They also gave the error. I did it again, just for fun and to copy/paste into here.

[12:21:44] [ $RST=* ] [MSG:Restoring defaults]
    [12:21:44] [ $RST=* ] ok
    [12:21:44] [ ] error: 7 - EEPROM read failed. Reset and restored to default values. [ undefined ]
    [12:21:44] [ ERROR ] error: 7 - EEPROM read failed. Reset and restored to default values. [ undefined ]
    [12:21:44] [ ] error:7
    [12:21:44] [ ] Grbl 1.1g ['$' for help]

13. Peter Van Der Walt

I am in ZA (GMT+2) but pretty much check in here while awake all the time lol.

Yeah then there seems to be some damage. Ever shorted V+ to GND accidentally :) - either way, store will sort you out.

sharmstr likes this.
  14. Jesse Parker

Builder

Ahh, makes sense now.. Nice to know there's someone around in my timezone ish (I'm in DE, so +1).

I don't recall shorting anything, but I'll look around and make sure nothing is loose or anything.

cool, I'll anxiously await their email! Thanks again.

Jesse

15. Jesse Parker

Builder

They said a new brain board will be coming, but I'm guessing slowly since I haven't heard back in a couple of days. Plus I bought from a Portuguese reseller so that's probably making it weird too. Is it possible to "hotwire" this with an Arduino or something while I wait?

16. Peter Van Der Walt

Check your spam folder if you are waiting on a reply too. Sometimes they end up in there

17. Jesse Parker

Builder

Ok, I think I'm going to get a nano for now to run GRBL on and plug directly into the muscle board. Is this a bad idea? Looking at the Pinout, it seems like most of the functionality is still there, at least what I'd use. One questions is how to get a 1-10V signal for the VFD though.. I only see a PWM signal coming out of the arduino, and I'd imagine it isn't 10V.

Is this possible?