Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

trying to build my first 3D printer

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Addam, May 20, 2022.

1. Addam

Addam New
    Builder

so I'm looking to build my first 3D printer using openbuild parts. I have a design in my head but was hoping to put it into a free CAD software to make sure everything looks good and to make sure i get all the parts i need. I've downloaded the free fusion 360 but not finding too many part files for fusion and also having trouble importing the few part files i have found. i also saw a thread that stated there was software out there that allowed you to drop a screw in place and it put it where it went. not sure if i explained that well. I'm not great with software and am having trouble figuring out which software to get for what I'm trying to do, figuring out which part files to download, and getting the files into the software. if someone can help me out that would be great even if you link a video or thread to direct me i would appreciate that.

2. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

Have you tried Sketchup? I've done thousands of designs using it, including 3D printers

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  3. JustinTime

JustinTime Veteran
    Builder

If you try SketchUp make sure you use the older version, 2017. The newer ones are paid/restricted or what ever they did to it.

4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

5. Addam

Addam New
    Builder

I’ll try that one I was trying to the figure out sketch up but might not of been on the 2017 version. Do you happen to have a link to were I can download it

6. Christian James

Christian James Journeyman
    Builder

See Peters post above

7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The .step files for openbuilds parts for using in Fusion are here: STEP Parts Library

Just click on upload and select the file from the window that pops up to upload the part to your project.
    upload_2022-5-22_13-1-1.png