Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Troubleshooting - No current from Toolhead 0-10v on Blackbox

Discussion in 'OpenBuilds Forum Help' started by AdamT1785, Mar 19, 2021.

1. AdamT1785

AdamT1785 New
    Builder

I'm hoping for some help here. I just upgraded from a 500w spindle with the iot relay and separate power supply to a 2.2kw spindle and 2.2kw Hunyuang VFD. I've gone through the parameters in the VFD and can run the spindle through that, but I'm now trying to run it through the Blackbox and have run into a problem there. I went through the documentation on this site (very good and easy to follow) to set up the VFD and Blackbox for this and I think I've got everything correct, but when I try to start the spindle through Openbuilds Control I can hear a click from the Blackbox, but I'm not getting any current from the 0-10v pin on the Blackbox. I can still get around 5v from the pwm pin though. Do I have a setting I'm missing in Openbuilds Control, or could I have a problem in my Blackbox?

Thanks in advance!
    Adam

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

1) if you hear clicking, see the Note on docs:blackbox:jumper-relay [OpenBuilds Documentation] (should not be cause of your main issue, but still worth doing right or the relay will chatter)
    2) 24V power present and switched on? 0-10v is derived from the 24v rail
    3) Gbl settings correct? (Laser mode off, and M3Sxxx matches scale configured in $30?)

3. AdamT1785

AdamT1785 New
    Builder

Thanks for the quick response Peter! I'm not at my machine at the moment, but I did put my multi meter to the board and verified that I do have 24V coming in. As far as the GRBL settings, I have $30 set to 24000 and $31 to 0. The clicking noise I hear is just a single click when I turn the spindle on or off. I'm assuming that's the relay opening and closing, but that documentation you linked to does look interesting. I would think I have a jumper connected if that is indeed the relay making the sound. To operate the VFD, if I'm reading this correctly, it looks like I should remove the jumper (if it is there). Am I understanding that right?

4. Peter Van Der Walt

And the serial log for turning on also shows M3S24000 / you are sending M3S24000 to match the Settings?

24v measured at the terminals, but is the socket all the way in? Can motors jog? Fan spinning? RGB led behind logo lit up?

Yes, relay jumper removed. With pwm/0-10v variable spindles output the relay will chatter a lot.

5. AdamT1785

AdamT1785 New
    Builder

Yes I'm sending M3 S24000. I pulled the cover off and checked the voltage directly from the rail and I'm showing 24V and all of the stepper motors are jogging and everything is lit. The tool on light even comes on. Still no voltage from the 0-10 even directly on the rail. There was a jumper connected to the M3/M5 pins for the relay. I removed that and tried it all again with the same result. Without the jumper I don't hear the click from the relay anymore. It's always been a single click for on and off, I haven't heard anything chatter with or without the jumper.

Is it possible I may have a short to the 1-10 pin? If so, is that fixable?

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Dialing in lower speeds like M3 S6000 would have. Regardless, should be removed for variable speed output (they all come off one Grbl output) and as mentioned in the original post, not the reason for your 0-10v issue, but still good to remove it so it doesn't cause other problems.

It is possible to destroy the output through a short circuit, backfeeding, reversed polarity, ESD discharge etc - so could be the reason. Any earlier events that could shed some light on a cause like that?

7. AdamT1785

AdamT1785 New
    Builder

Nothing that comes to mind. I think when I was originally connecting everything I'm pretty sure I connected the 0-10v output pin and ground pin to the iot relay to signal my original spindle instead of the relay pin. Could that have caused a backfeed? Everything else has always worked right off the bat.

8. Peter Van Der Walt

9. AdamT1785

AdamT1785 New
    Builder

Will do. Thanks for your help Peter!