Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Troubleshooting An Anomoloy

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by ryushi5, Jul 22, 2020.

1. ryushi5

ryushi5 New
    Builder

So, I'm relatively new to CNC. I am running a Lead 1010 system, Openbuilds Control v1.0.238, Blackbox controller. I made my GCode using Fusion 360 and Swarfer V13 for post processing.

What this program does is simply cut an angled edge on a piece that has already been cut out.

What I'm experiencing is that after a couple operations, it seems to add a few inches to the Y coordinate before continuing (as you can see by the line that takes off to the top left).

At first, I figured maybe I was losing steps in the Y axis, so I checked all the couplers and wheels to make sure that nothing was binding or slipping. I found a few wheels that were maybe a little too tight, so I tried again. It ended up doing the same thing.

At this point I figure there's probably an issue with the GCode, but from what I can see with a very amateur eye. . .things seem alright.

Any thoughts on what may be wrong? Pictures and GCode attached.

Attached Files:

2. phil from seattle

phil from seattle Journeyman
    Builder

use a g-code visualizer to make sure your g-code will do what you want. I loaded it into one I use (NC Viewer // GCode Viewer and Machine Simulator) and it doesn't look right to me but I have no idea what you are trying to achieve. Each pass is offset a bit. Is that the problem you are seeing?

Attached Files:

3. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Your Gcode is fine
    your Y axis is sticking on a return stroke and losing steps.

ryushi5 and Peter Van Der Walt like this.
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Post your Grbl settings too. Skipping during seek moves could also indicate issues with stalling due to inappropriate settings (max feed or acceleration)

#4 Peter Van Der Walt, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    David the swarfer likes this.
  5. ryushi5

ryushi5 New
    Builder

Thank you all for your help on this.

Peter, I think you may be correct on stalling out. My GRBL settings are all pretty much the default settings that load for the Lead 1010 except that I have changed the max speed to 4000 mm/min.

I purchased the 345oz*in NEMA 23 steppers with this kit. Is there a recommended setting for these, or should I simply turn that down until I stop having problems?

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

Just turn it down a little, or acceleration values so it ramps up to speed better. Every machine is just a little differently built so a little trial and error is needed sometimes

Mark Carew and ryushi5 like this.