Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Tramming Lead 1515

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Jason Elford, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Jason Elford

Builder

I’m having issues figuring out how to tram the spindle in one of the directions (back to front, see picture). How can this be done on the Lead 1515?

Attached Files:

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

By adjusting the X gantry until the spindle is perpendicular. The Z is fixed relative to X in that direction, so you fix the tramming by rotating the X axis about itself.

Tim Percy likes this.
  3. Jason Elford

Builder

Best way to do that? Is this done by adjusting the vertical c beams highlighted in red line, and their angular position on the yellow highlighted piece?

Attached Files:

Tim Percy likes this.
  4. Peter Van Der Walt

Correct, with the single beam like a LEAD1010 one could just rotate the beam itself, but with the dual beams of the 1515 and High-Z its probably more down to the uprights. You could maybe also win a little by moving the beams relative to each other - not sure how far out you are - the arrow you drew is spot on though! That is the concept right there!

5. Rhett E

Rhett E Well-Known
    Builder

I tapped the two holes shown and put small bolts through the back side. There wasn't enough adjustment through the uprights and it's too hard to get a precise adjustment like that. With the two bolts you can adjust them like a thumb screw and get it dead on. I know it's frowned upon to adjust the carriage assembly like this but my tram is spot on now and I haven't had any issues.

tram.jpg

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  6. Jason Elford

Builder

If I understand correctly, you loosened your black corner connectors holding the z axis c beam to the 2 independent x carriages, then used the grub screws you added to adjust the z axis c beam. Did you then shim in between the c beam and the 2 x axis carriages and then tighten the black corner connectors, or just tighten the corner connectors and lead your grub screws to hold it off in the right position? I guess I’m concerned that this will mean that the 2 x axis carriages will be at a slight angle to each other?

7. Rhett E

Rhett E Well-Known
    Builder

You delete the other post? Yes, loosen black corner connectors and use thumb screws to adjust Z c beam. The thumb screws are essentially shims. Just make sure the top of the z c beam is even at the top. Adjust one thumb screw at a time and then snug the other one up and you don't have to worry about twisting anything.

I got a large piece of glass and dial indicator and made sure my reference surface was flat. Then I took a broken bit and 1-2-3 blocks with a light behind it and adjusted it accordingly from front and back. I don't think it could be any more accurate for a hobby cnc machine.

8. Jason Elford

Builder

That makes sense to me! I’ll give it a shot. I surfaced my spoil board once, which results in very very slight scalloping, but apart from the averaging it is now flat to the y beams. Plan is to adjust tram, then rerun spoiler board flattening and hopefully it’s smooth.

9. Jason Elford

Builder

Was doing some late night thinking and thought of an easier way to tram the spindle about the y axis (which requires lossening the spindle mount and rotating it. This is annoying ti do because the spindle gets bolted on with 4 screws, but 2 are inaccessible (the ones that bolt on from behind on the gantry plate). I took one of those 2 screws out and tightened the one remaining. Then I reassembled the z axis, and added the 2 black corner connectors. I kept them a touch loose. I was then able to rate the router mount until I was happy with the tram, and tighten down the corner connectors. I’m taking the risk that the router mount will not have issues being held on by 3 of the 4 screws. So far it’s worked out, anyone else doing this or something better to facilitate easy tramming?

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.
  10. Peter Van Der Walt

Normally, the Router mount - to the plate behind it, does already make a perfect 90deg corner. If you have to shim that to straighten the router, its usually because the Z axis itself is angled. (i.e. an issue higher up, and just fixing the symptom, not the cause) The Z axis, in turn is a fixed reference from the X gantry - so if its tilted, the X gantry is rotated about itself. And on a LEAD, that means either the Z uprights are tilted, or the bracketry holding the Gantry rails to the Z uprights, need adjustment. If the tilt is in X, its the usually the gantry mounted higher on one side on the Z uprights (relative to the Y rails)

Basic tramming:
    - Make XY Plane perfectly level
    - Make Z perfect perpendicular to XY plane
    - Router moves relative to Z, so if the above is correct, the router would maybe only need a little left/right adjustment as the mounting holes allow some play - but you can square that up to the bottom edge of the plate / extrusion of the Z carriage before even fitting it to the machine