Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Touch Interface Feature Request

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Joe hoffman, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Joe hoffman

Builder

So I got the new touch interface this week and hooked it up. While I think it's a neat little device it's not exactly capable of replacing my computer just yet. A few thoughts:

1. File names need to scroll or something, I couldn't tell the difference between several different steps.
    2. apparently a standard z-probe doesn't work? I guess not a biggie, so I ordered the XYZ probe from ya'll.
    3. while jogging is very smooth, I think it needs a precision mode. it's pretty difficult to position it exactly above a center point. even better if I could choose step increment and one tap == that one increment , when in precision mode that is.
    4. would like to see a readout of total width and height of cut part. would be super cool if it could jog around the max parameter.
    5. would be nice to specify multiple zero points, eg 54, 55, 56

I think if you got all that stuff, this would be a killer product. Also, I'm sure some of this stuff has been requested, so if you could give me an update on what is in the works and when to expect it , that would be fantastic.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Thanks for the suggestions!

Having our XYZ probe will greatly enhance your experience - no need to precision jog when the probe can do it for you - its life changing to automate it.

Filenames: it can only support 8.3 format, while saving your files, work out better names to help you recognise your files and keep to 8 character names. Use folders for further organisation.

3. Joe hoffman

Builder

It's been a while now I was hoping for g54....g5x support by now.

I've attempted to just make macros where I could change the coordinate systems via a simple .nc file, but the interface seems to ignore them.

so I have 4 files
    G54.nc
    G55.nc
    G56.nc
    G57.nc

which all contain simple one line with G5X, where X is the desired coordinate system , but after running these files the coordinate systems are not changing. so then I thought perhaps the set zero was reseting the coordinate system, so I made four more files:

G54XY.nc .. G57XY.nc

which all contained the line G10 p1..p4 L20 X0 Y0,
    Then I attempted to run my G54 .. G57 files again and it seemed to have once been ignored.

So I'm wondering how can I hack this thing to allow me to switch the coordinate system?

4. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

in what software?
    in OpenBuildsCONTROL you can select the WCS using the dropdown arrowed below, and of course the GRBL firmware in the Blackbox controller does support 6 WCS systems (more in the X32 version)
    I see the label change when I select G56 then give G54 in serial console,so i see no problem at all.
    upload_2023-10-28_10-32-17.png