Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Total Newbie

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by marlin adams, Jul 30, 2021.

1. marlin adams

Builder

About 2 years ago I bought a chinese cnc a 3040z with a rotary axis to learn about using a cnc. It came with a T_D 3 axis controller. Then I had to put it a side because of health and family issues. The machine itself is pretty well made but just found out about 2 weeks ago the control board and control software are ripe off from Planet cnc and I cannot afford the legit board and software license because I am on a fix income now.

Now during my research into getting my cnc back up to full working order I came across grbl. This is what I have 3040Z 4 Axis 500W. So what do I need to run grbl on it.

2. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

marlin adams likes this.
  3. marlin adams

Builder

4. marlin adams

Builder

Hope fully I will not try your patience with all my newbie questions :) I am buying the black box, power supply and I notice you do not have the xyz touch probe plus. And the connectors I see in the store would be the same connectors I would need to connect my stepper motors to the black box, just set aside the female ends then. And a example of a DC Spindle Controller.

#4 marlin adams, Aug 5, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  5. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

:) always happy to answer questions :)

Its much better to ask questions before things go wrong than to seek advice once the magic smoke has already left the devices - pop in any time

If you need information on the stock arrival ETA of the Probes contact the Store directly via http://support.openbuilds.com/support/home please, they will know better when its expected.

DC Spindles: if you can, avoid them. Very underpowered, and usually have bad runout. A RoutER11 or Dewalt 611 will be much better for you

marlin adams likes this.
  6. marlin adams

Builder

I understand about the spindles but it is the only thing I can afford right now, but once I get everything I got so far pay off I am gonna slowly purchase parts for a bigger cnc. Right now I just got the small 6040 china model. LOL I am 59 and starting to learn about cnc's :)

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.